Security Installer Community

Replacing a couple of (ancient) faulty PIR sensors

JimD

Upto 13.9Vdc is what I would usually consider fine, but this is all part of servicing to make sure the voltage regulator is still ok.

It's down to design, you need the headroom from the regulator to charge the battery correctly. Transformer output will be around 19Vac for example.

PIR's are all different but usual working voltages will be 11-15 ish.

As long as there isn't a random device, junction box or other joint somewhere, paint by colours should work fine.

• Like 1

That's good to know swb. Thanks.

I've verified that the fault indications are gone with the links in the box removed and the PIR contacts shorted together, so all good there. I also found the red & black cores of the garage cable (with great difficulty though - I'm afraid it's a rats nest behind the circuit board) so I've pushed the button on ordering 3 of those PIRs.

I may be back to this thread once the gear arrives. ?

So the PIRs arrived yesterday, and I'm looking to fit them today.

Is there a simple way to deactivate the 12v supply to the PIRs on this panel (e.g. remove one of the fuses)? I don't want to power the whole panel down as the external siren will go off if I do (don't ask how I know).

The only manual I can find is slightly different to the model I have (it's for a unit with 8 zones and mine is 6 zones) and doesn't really help me with that. I suppose I could just remove the most likely looking fuse and stick my meter on the 13v output, but that risk a lot of noise happening.

16 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

disconnect the wiring.

That's an option - is the inevitable 'noisy' reconnection likely to make the PIRs misbehave at all?  The instructions for the new ones mention some sort of 'self test' on first power up.

I just disconnected the 12v wires in the box and all was fine when I reconnected them after fitting the new PIRs so I was worrying about nowt really. Just the new one to fit in the garage left to do, and that's for another day - I'm confident I can handle it now though.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my questions - I appreciate the help I've had from this community.

(Edited to add pics)

New PIR.jpg

PIR CU.jpg

PIR nocover.jpg

Edited by JimD