Security Installer Community

New Texecom Alarm or ?

newuwave

Hi - I have a Texecom Ricochet Elite 24 panel (Version 2.04) and using it with a mixture of hard wired and wireless Premier Elite XT-W/QD-W sensors and have been very happy with this kit.

I bought and installed this in 2013. I was after this type of alarm to save wiring and to have a remote fob to arm/disarm from outside.

Today I believe I can add network access but I believe it needs a firmware update and extra hardware that might no longer be manufactured - I have to google it.

Just looking today as for the first time I had a wireless sensor fault. Pulling the battery and relearning fixed it but it did prompt me to google Texecom for a replacement PIR.

However, things have moved on I see and the type of PIR I have is no longer manufactured bar the odd old stock I can find though Texecom do list a compatible one....not sure if it works with my panel though.

So I'm wondering if its worth replacing or upgrading to obtain internet access?

Here are my requirements

6 wired zones

4 wireless

Remote fob to use outside.

Remote Keypad/screen control panel

Internet connection/app to monitor arm/disarm/reset - can be hard wired or wireless connection to control panel

2 wired alarm boxes

PC based software to set it up.......I'm assuming USB/RS232 like with Wintex /Rocochet for the Texecom kit.

Manufacturer support for DIY install. - I am fairly technical and did the install and programed the Texecom myself with Wintex though I recall one issue I needed help on with Texecom as I could not find an explanation in the manual at the time.....nor can I find it yet,  but 10 mins on the phone with Texecom helped me get it sorted.

I need to google more but today I get the impression Texecom are not interested in the DIY market?

One last comment. The Texecom Mesh wireless works fine where I believe each wireless sensor is a receiver and transmitter to ensure good reception back to the control panel.

Would be good to have the same as I know my DECT land phones are not great all over the house.

Any advice much appreciated.

The Smartcom IP module needs installer registered Cloud account to add to a system, but is compatible.

No manufacturers are really interested in DIY market, I think the consensus is only Eaton/Scantronic are left with a free app for DIY, how long that lasts or how reliable it is I have no idea.

These servers that run the apps cost money so restricting stuff to paid and/or installer only is the only sustainable solution for them.

Ricochet Mesh is a Texecom only thing, other manufacturers have two way/transceivers but not mesh.

Apps are not a replacement for signalling, they are not polled so no guarantees you'll get a message. It depends why you want this "internet access", I'd not bother myself.

If it's really a requirement possibly consider a COM-GSM on your existing system if DIY or get an installer to firmware update then add a Smartcom and look after what you have.

Thanks for the info. My Texecom activates a GSM Box  to call me and others if it alarms. Only want the app as an option to turn it off and rea-arm really in case a neighbour who has the remote fob when I'm away is not available to turn it off and re-arm it. - saves kids, who are local, visiting.

I was getting the impression manufacturers are not interested in diy - though I'm happy to pay a nominal annual fee to use any app.

I'm really happy with the Texecom kit - I'll look into the firware update and smartcom - thanks for the advice.

Kind Regards