Security Installer Community

optima plus 2 - rcd tripping

Guest g.reeve

I have decided that if other people wish to sign documentations for electricial work THAT IN MY OPINION is not meeteing the regulations that is up to them. Furthermore I will have to consider further wether or not to post here again, I was under the impression that this was a friendly place for electricians and installers (SSAIB) to meet and talk. I feel that SOME people are unpleasant and instead of just ADMITTING that fitting a 30ma RCD in the consumer unit procecting the sockets is the best method for customer safety they argue and try to nitpick that ONE socket with a built in RCD is the way to go. I was only pointing out in MY original reply that the poster should be aware that IN MY OPINION a 30ma RCD should have been fitted to protect all sockets.

What the heck is going on with this forum - if we all continue to bicker and argue and throw our toys out the pram I think Dave will get fed up and close his site down :(

Keep your Hair on, forums are for debate and due to there nature, you wont always get an answer you want to hear or even get someone to agree with you.

The bottom line is that there are lots of "Qualified People" on these forums whether they are DIY or Professional doesn't really matter, what does matter is if they are able to apply the quallification and the knowledge gained from it to a pratical use in the real world.

Yes you may be a Qualified Electrician and yes, you may hold the City and Guilds 2391 Inspection and Testing certificate, but to start to go on one about what you feel the installation should have is purley conjecture. You should consider the type of property, the location of the sockets, the age of the property and most importantly WHAT eddition of the BS7671 the installation was installed to.

To say that the installation doesn't comply with the current regulations may well be true, but to imply that his installation is not safe, based on a couple of his posts is not a good move, as this will always start a debate.

In my opinion the guy should have been advised "Not to touch the alarm or the fuseboard" and to seek professional help "an electrician" We all as responsible people should not seek to advise people of what may cause a fault with an RCD, as they are all installed for a reason whether they be 30ma or 100ma, if they trip there is a reason and this can only be investigated by a competant person.

There are lots of people on here with electrical qualifications, but some of us would get the full facts before reccomending a solution. ELECTRICITY KILLS and we should all remeber that. The rights and wrongs about the RCD should be debated in the trade forums, not in the public ones where an unsupecting DIYER may act on the information.

The forums are great place to debate our industry, but remember you wont always like the answers, but that no reason to throw your toys out the pram. :lol:

Colin

Guest IM_Alarms

Must have got his wires crossed! :D

and yes I do have CG2391, CG2381, NICEIC approval, SSAIB approval, SSAIB merit, CG 224, Btec level 4 electronics, cycling proficiency, gold swimming badge, girl guides knitting merit............... :D OK the girl guide bit was a joke........... honest............... no, no it was a joke really :D

I assume that all the people voicing thier opinions against the statutory documents and non statutory BS7671 ARE qualified electricians who hold City and Guilds 2391 ?? Awating your response IF THERE ARE ANY.

33832[/snapback]

Woosh, It was not my intention to undermine your post or to upset you. I offered MY OPINION and went as far as saying there was nothing wrong with what you suggested. I would hope that you would realise that others points of view although different are often also valid and you should be prepared to learn from these. For your information I am NICEIC 13268 (25years) I am NACOSS Gold. I have IEE Beng on staff. And with all this I still learn from the likes of this site from less qualified but often more experienced individuals everyday.

Jef

Customers!

Archived