Security Installer Community

Wrie

Guest jamesho

Guest jamesho

I'm in the process of buying a house and I want to install an alarm. I'm still looking what I need as I'm new to alarms.

However, there is one question that I want to ask now. Can I use cat5 cable for the wriring? I'm kitting out the house with data and voice in all the rooms therefore I will be using alot of cat5. I just thought I could use this as I could buy in bulk and get it all cheaper.

What are peoples thoughts.

cheers

James

:lol:

There has been few conversations about this..

CAT5 is not suitable for alarm installations because its mechanical structure isn't planned for alarm cabling.

Electrically it would be OK, if it wouldn't be against UK reg's..

:!: Do not in any case use anything else than UK-type alarm cable within UK.. :!:

(for alarm installations..)

As this alarm is being installed by a non-installer person (badly worded i know), then he can use a peice of string to wire it all up if he wants - why don't you call an alarm co mate or ask someone on here to come and do a survey for you?? You can then run the cables in accordance with the positioning given to you by professionals and then they can connect and commission afterwards??

Guest jamesho
As this alarm is being installed by a non-installer person (badly worded i know), then he can use a peice of string to wire it all up if he wants - why don't you call an alarm co mate or ask someone on here to come and do a survey for you?? You can then run the cables in accordance with the positioning given to you by professionals and then they can connect and commission afterwards??

31965[/snapback]

Thanks for the info guys.

OK will not use cat5, it was just and ideas, just firing from the hip.

Cat5 is 8 core and I just thought it may be suitable.

I don't even have a house yet but I'm just trying to get all the info together ready for when I do get it. I was thinking of doing a DIY install, but the above idea sounds like a plan. Are there any companies in Bristol that people would recommend?

Thanks

James

Some installers would not install a system based on the cable you have run - however some might! As long as you run a cable from a central location (out of sight from any casual observers, ie attic) to each of the detection devices in the room and also one to the front door for a keypad then you should be OK. But as I said, get someone in to carry out a survey and agree with them that you will run the cables in accordance with thier instructions and they will come back to connect and commission for you. This way it can be signed off as a proper job and you should have no problems in the future.

CAT5 is a solid core cable which can be prone to damage when bent at funny angles, alarm cable is stranded to allow it more flexiblity.

I don't know any companies in Bristol, but someone else on here might, try posting another topic "Installer Required in Bristol".

• 1 month later...
I'm in the process of buying a house and I want to install an alarm. I'm still looking what I need as I'm new to alarms.

However, there is one question that I want to ask now. Can I use cat5 cable for the wriring? I'm kitting out the house with data and voice in all the rooms therefore I will be using alot of cat5. I just thought I could use this as I could buy in bulk and get it all cheaper.

What are peoples thoughts.

cheers

James

31924[/snapback]

Strictly speaking there should be no reason why you cannot use cat5 cable, just because we dont do it, doesn't mean you can't!

I agree that most companies will not connect kit to self installed cables, this is for their own protection as they cannot be sure of the quality of the cabling.

Cat5 is available as solid or stranded, the seperation and rejection quality is FAR superior to alarm six or eight core, which lets face it, is not much better than wet string.

There is a physical issue as the outer diameter of cat 5 is bigger than alarm cable, so you may have problems with some of the knock outs in the pir's etc.

The bend radius limit only applies when using for high speed data traffic, and even then is not as critical as the specifications say.

Your real problem will be, who is installing the hard ware, if it is you, then no problem. but if you go to a proffessional alarm installer then they will probably say NO!

As you evidently work with data cable, you will know that you can test the cable to the "far end of a fxxt "

Sorry guys, just felt I had to give my humble opinion

I just thought I could use this as I could buy in bulk and get it all cheaper.

Alarm cable is cheap enough anyway, so I can't see you making any useful savings with Cat5 and as has been pointed out it's not technically compliant with the relevant standards.

Lots of discussions on this elsewhere if you search around - have a read. :D If you do go ahead with Cat5 I think most would advise to use the stranded conductor (as commonly used in patch leads).

There is a alarm company in brighton, who according to one of there install engineers, wires some of the alarms in cat5 and rj45 plugs. Placing the end of line resistor in the panel. According to him it is to save the customer money, and keep them happy, so when they want to rooms around they can also move the PIRs on the own with no tampers. They then fit a MWC rack and connect zones to cat5 stips just like a normal data hub.

Where does this stand on the regs then????

Think you might know the company pete, and possibly the engineer.

chris

Trade Member

As Mr Kingswood said "Dont forget the 6 P's when installing.....Proper Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance!!!"

John Kingswood(alais Nobby), Paul Earl Ltd 1985-2006

Archived