Security Installer Community

Orisec Detector

Hi, I am having my alarm system change and have a question regarding the detectors. 

It has been suggested to use a standard Orisec IR 200 PIR but they also sell a Digital Dual Tech Sensor (microwave/pir).  The later is not much more money but I am told it is not really needed for a hallway. 

Is this information correct or would you spend the extra on the Dual Tech?

Thanks 

I would use a Quad PIR as standard for normal domestic rooms. DT's would normally be used in harsher environments where temperature would be less stable, i.e. a garage.

Hard to pass opinion without seeing the job but that's not to say DT's are unsuitable, I have mostly DT's myself.

Pet friendly sensors are normally considered a workaround, it's best practice to use perimeter protection or try to limit the location of the pets.

If I do fit pet friendly sensors as a last option or retrofit, I use Bosch which I can switch pet on and off, never fitted Orisec ones.

You seem pretty knowledgable can I ask a question or two?

Limiting the cat is not an option, he would just scratch a doors lol.  Would you then just fit a DT Sensor?

Also we had a Scantronic Ion 40 alarm fitted previously and this has been changed over to the Orisec one.  We kept the old wired PIR (scantronic) as we were told they would work fine but now we are finding they are sometimes not even picking up someone walking past.  I know they are just a sensor and a sensor is a sensor but I cant understand why this would be apart from a compatibility issue (which should not really happen). 

M

2 minutes ago, mark8par said:

You seem pretty knowledgable

Lol, I would hope so, doing this for a living...

Would you then just fit a DT Sensor?

Personally I fit Bosch BluLine Quads in pet applications because I have good results with them especially for cats. Given the choices I'd choose a DT Pet over a Std PIR Pet.

Also we had a Scantronic Ion 40 alarm fitted previously and this has been changed over to the Orisec one.  We kept the old wired PIR (scantronic) as we were told they would work fine but now we are finding they are sometimes not even picking up someone walking past.  I know they are just a sensor and a sensor is a sensor but I cant understand why this would be apart from a compatibility issue (which should not really happen).

The sensors wouldn't have to be the same brand if you have a wired system and therefore yes they should be completely compatible with the new controls.

Could be a number of reasons for the issue, but it would be very unlucky for all the sensors to fail at the same time. Some pet sensors can be slow as you are basically desensitising the PIR.

If it's just one or two they maybe faulty or incorrectly setup, if the devices have been disturbed height adjustment maybe off, accidentally covered in wallpaper paste, environmental issue...

List goes on, hard to say without seeing it.