Security Installer Community

Intellisense 800L

Rissy

26 minutes ago, Rissy said:

from within the controller box?  What will this achieve?

This will prove if the SAB is working correctly or not.

If the siren sounds when you remove the permanent negative feed (not the trigger, don't confuse the two) then the SAB module / battery are mostly working.

This does not test the capacity of the battery, or (and  especially as it is new) the charging circuit within the bell, though.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

11 minutes ago, datadiffusion said:

This will prove if the SAB is working correctly or not.

If the siren sounds when you remove the permanent negative feed (not the trigger, don't confuse the two) then the SAB module / battery are mostly working.

This does not test the capacity of the battery, or (and  especially as it is new) the charging circuit within the bell, though.

What's an "SAB"?

Self actuating bell or Sounder if its SAS.

The point is if it rings when you remove the hold off it is working as it should, Its designed so that should a burglar crow bar the bell off the wall and cut the wire it doesnt stop the sounder from operating.

20 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

Self actuating bell or Sounder if its SAS.

The point is if it rings when you remove the hold off it is working as it should, Its designed so that should a burglar crow bar the bell off the wall and cut the wire it doesnt stop the sounder from operating.

So you're saying that only be removing this negative to the bell box, that's when the bell box battery is designed to keep the siren on the bell box going?

Do we know which wire it is?

13 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

I am saying the bell box is designed to sound if someone cuts the cable. So if you remove either the 12v or Negative going to the bell the bell should ring  

So what i was trying to say earlier this morning is that with both the goosed battery AND the replacement new battery (in the bell box i mean), upon completely isolating all volts going to the controller, the bell box didn't alarm.  Only opening the bell box up seemed to make it squeal.  I take it this is wrong?

Edited by Rissy

3 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

Why else would you have a battery in the bell? 

Ha! Yes indeed.  As i was saying, i was getting confused as to when this battery was expected to do anything.  When i opened up the bell box the first time, to replace the goosed battery, the bell box still made noise, despite the controller box being isolated from the mains.  I suspected that the back up battery was therefore feeding the bell box to allow it to make noise.  I then isolated the controller box back up supply too.  This then allowed me to work on the bell box in silence so i could rip out the old 7.5v battery and put in the new one.  I presume it didn't make noise when everything else was dead because the battery in the bell box was goosed.  But after changing the bell box battery, the same was still true.  No noise!?  I would have thought the new battery would force it to make noise and it didn't!?  So i was confused as to when this battery is used to make the bell box make noise.  So you're now confirming, i think, that the only time the bell box internal battery forces the bell box to make noise, is when this negative feed to the bell box from the controller, is cut.  Am i right?

3 minutes ago, Rissy said:

Ha! Yes indeed.  As i was saying, i was getting confused as to when this battery was expected to do anything.  When i opened up the bell box the first time, to replace the goosed battery, the bell box still made noise, despite the controller box being isolated from the mains.  I suspected that the back up battery was therefore feeding the bell box to allow it to make noise.  I then isolated the controller box back up supply too.  This then allowed me to work on the bell box in silence so i could rip out the old 7.5v battery and put in the new one.  I presume it didn't make noise when everything else was dead because the battery in the bell box was goosed.  But after changing the bell box battery, the same was still true.  No noise!?  I would have thought the new battery would force it to make noise and it didn't!?  So i was confused as to when this battery is used to make the bell box make noise.  So you're now confirming, i think, that the only time the bell box internal battery forces the bell box to make noise, is when this negative feed to the bell box from the controller, is cut.  Am i right?

Yes

• Like 1