Security Installer Community

External PIR use for pre-alarm/ perimeter protection

ttstick

After completing a fairly extensive domestic installation, my focus is now towards the exterior of the property.

I've been looking at the GJD Mini Opal External PIR Detector or Pyronix High security tri-technology outdoor detector as a potential component of monitoring the outdoor areas, to act mainly as a pre-alarm (e.g. chimes and/ or activating internal sounders only). The detector would be mounted to monitor the access route to a part of my home which does have some foliage etc. surrounding it but is mostly free from movement (although given that everything will be the same temperature, I don't see this being too much of an issue with false alarms etc.)

Providing I mount and sight the detector correctly (and with the Pyronix ensure the animal immunity is on), would this be an acceptable solution?

Alternatively, any other suggestions for this would be appreciated, aside from the high cost PIDS systems (e.g. microphonic wire).

I'm hesistant to use beams as they seem fairly easy to bypass, if the intruder knew they were there.

It'd also require the running of an additional power supply to the second unit, looking at a few on the market.

With a PIR/ MW detector, it has more blanket coverage and is much more difficult to bypass, as well as being a smaller unit which requires only one cable.

Edited by ttstick
Terrible spelling