Security Installer Community

Asterisk PBX

Guest dfroberg

Guest dfroberg

Hi everyone,

I am setting up Asterisk Boxes for a living and have been active as a Security Installer for a few years, the connection between the two opens up for some pretty amzing possibilities in the security field.

You guys probably heard of the VoIP rush the latest year, well Asterisk is a Open Source alternative to the $10K boxes from Cisco etc and works really really well

Anyways to the point;

I am expanding on the AlarmReceiver component thats available in the * box.

It currently support SIA Level 0 (DTMF) ADEMCO Contact ID protocol.

To be able to expand this software I need Standards documents over all the protocols you guys are using, including the SIA I,II,III etc.

I know all of these are available but 43 protocoll specs = $$$, so if you guys give me a hand in collecting this info i'll set up a page with a detailed howto on how u get one of these boxes rolling with the AlarmReciever+ when it's all completed.

Feel free to email me if you have questions, suggestions & specs ;)

Sorry for the lousy English, I am a Swede ;)

Regards

Danny

Hi everyone,

I am setting up Asterisk Boxes for a living and have been active as a Security Installer for a few years, the connection between the two opens up for some pretty amzing possibilities in the security field.

You guys probably heard of the VoIP rush the latest year, well Asterisk is a Open Source alternative to the $10K boxes from Cisco etc and works really really well

Anyways to the point;

To be able to expand this software I need Standards documents over all the protocols you guys are using, including the SIA I,II,III etc.

I know all of these are available but 43 protocoll specs = $$$, so if you guys give me a hand in collecting this info i'll set up a page with a detailed howto on how u get one of these boxes rolling with the AlarmReciever+ when it's all completed.

Regards

Danny

27680[/snapback]

Hej på dig Danny,

Jag kan hjälpa dig med SIA och CID protokoller. Jag tycker at SIA och CID är mest förbrukat protokoller. Du kan email mig till address du ser under. Från vilken plats i Sverige kommer du?

Och förlåt min svenska, jag är Finska :lol:

Och nästa poster ska bli på engelska. Tycker inte om översätta..

Is it a "box" or some kind of Linux distribution that can be installed to "any" PC?

Or a box with some Linux kernel used as OS?

What is the approximate price for it and can you send more detailed technical data by email?

Hi everyone,

Anyways to the point;

Regards

Danny

27680[/snapback]

Not sure this product will take off in UK. British installers are fixed on fast format. Contact ID is my personal favourate & SIA is very seldom used. We are currently testing an IP based signalling system but to be honest early trials are not possitive. In the UK installers are for a secondary comunication path. Unfortuatly IP only represents another protacol NOT another communication path and other than a possible cost saving it is likely to fail. You realy need to speak with an Alarm Receiving Centre (ARC) but dont exspect to much

Jef

Customers!

Not sure this product will take off in UK. British installers are fixed on fast format. Contact ID is my personal favourate & SIA is very seldom used. We are currently testing an IP based signalling system but to be honest early trials are not possitive. In the UK installers are for a secondary comunication path. Unfortuatly IP only represents another protacol NOT another communication path and other than a possible cost saving it is likely to fail. You realy need to speak with an Alarm Receiving Centre (ARC) but dont exspect to much

Jef

27722[/snapback]

What do you mean by fast format? 40bps 4+2??

I prefer SIA and then CID.

I have been testing DSC T-Link for half an year by now. Seems to work okay (after few ten troubles first which are still not corrected but you can live with them if you can set ARP entries manually) as far as DSL - lines don't crash. Also Power backup is an other issue that causes troubles..

I use TCP/IP as primary path (supervised naturally) because that doesn't cost anything and DSL - lines are mostly up. When TCP/IP is not present we use other paths (ISDN, GPRS, PSTN, GSM).

I have very good relations with one BIG Swedish Company that has ARC in Helsinki. No problem testing it there if it doesn't cost them anything.

Guest dfroberg

Idea was to support a multitude of formats.

The Modem & DTMF ones primarily

Don't know if Pulsed formats are possible over VoIP but i'll try ;)

if you all want to take a look look at http://www.asterisk.org documentation for the product is improving on a day to day basis and the development team are working their behinds off.

It's basically a application that you run on a Linux box RedHat/Fedora/Debian/Gentoo/Mandrake etc

If you have a free box (computer ;)) you can try the quick installation CD from http://www.xorcom.com/rapid/ just download the ISO image and burn it to a CD then boot.

Note that the box will loose all data already on it.

if you look at http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?pa...20AlarmReceiver

You can see that the Ademco Contact ID / SIA 0 is already built in, this is the module i'll be expanding with as many formats as possible.

Enjoy ;)

/Danny

Guest dfroberg

Just wanted to add, if you have questions / get stuck or whatever mail me at danny.froberg@foreststar.org or post in this thread and i'll try to give you a hand.

/Danny

Just wanted to add, if you have questions / get stuck or whatever mail me at danny.froberg@foreststar.org or post in this thread and i'll try to give you a hand.

/Danny

27862[/snapback]

Starting to install this in a moment ( if i just find extra hard disk..)

Sounds an interesting little project Danny. Im sure Smart1 would be interested in this as he's into PABX systems. I have heard of asterix but thought you needed to buy some controller board to break out to the handsets?

I have heard of asterix but thought you needed to buy some controller board to break out to the handsets?

28671[/snapback]

Yep, PCI cards for the extensions. Not cheap when you start adding the options on. Depending what you want to do with the Asterisk it's usually cheaper to stick a Norstar Compact in.

Archived