Security Installer Community

Gardtec 593 query - can you help?

Allso

Thanks Peter, it sounds as if you are familiar with the panel in question. Although everything has apparently been turned down to minimum by the installers, the sounder still makes a loud noise on unsetting from part (silent) -set in the morning.

The "sounder" I currently have seems to function as a separate loudspeaker which amplifies all the noises from the panel.

Do I understand correctly any of the sounders you mention could be fitted as an additional internal sounder that would only sound on alarm activation (like the external sounder), and wouldn't make any noise on set/unset or entry/exit.

Who makes the Elmdean sounder, I can't find reference to it on the internet, although I found the others you mentioned

Also, with regards to an earlier post about visual setting confirmation, I believe the 593 can be prog'd to operate the strobe (confirmation setting) on the external sounder to flash for a few seconds on setting, eliminating the need to wait around outside for the bleep.

Your still going to have some sound via the keypad though.

Chris Teague (Sales & Operations Manager) Sightguard Intruder Division

Covering the Isle of Wight: - Design, Installation, Maintenance & Takeover of Intruder Alarms, Fire Alarms & Equipment, CCTV, Access Control, Nursecall. Keyholding Service, Guarding & Cash in Transit. SSAIB & NICEIC Registered Tel 01983 884000 / 884440

Any comments / opinions posted could be the voices in my head speaking, but they are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company

Also, with regards to an earlier post about visual setting confirmation, I believe the 593 can be prog'd to operate the strobe (confirmation setting) on the external sounder to flash for a few seconds on setting, eliminating the need to wait around outside for the bleep.

Your still going to have some sound via the keypad though.

26275[/snapback]

With regard to the keypad beeping if you disconnect the correct connection in the RKP it makes no noise and still functions correctly.

Paul

Trade Member

More help needed as the alarm installers are not keen on installing a resistor into the speaker (I get the impression they've not familiar with that solution). They want to pack the speaker enclosure with material to muffle the sound!

I'd prefer an electronic solution such as has been suggested with use of a variable resistor. There is no point in my asking Gardtec what resistance to install as they seem to be unwilling to give much advice to a user other than the standard "ask the engineer to ring us". (This is despite their tech. support number being in the used manual). I'm therefore thinking of installing a variable resistor into the speaker cable myself. How do I know what range potentiometer to buy? I can use a soldering iron and a multimeter so I could try and work it out using basic electronic principles. Alternatively does anyone know the answer already?

NACOSS approved for Security System Installation, according to their letterhead.

The quality of their cabling work has been excellent, but their inability to sort out the "beep problem" has driven me to distraction (and to this forum!!).

As an aside, without access to anything other than a user manual, how can a customer know whether their alarm company is giving them correct answers to their questions about the capabilities of their control panel?

As a panel owner I would have found it beneficial if Gardtec Tech Support had been more willing to answer my questions about their panel. Its not as if I was asking them how to bypass the security system or something - they wouldn't even give me a straight answer as to which beeps/volumes were adjustable. I didn't want to know how to do it, I just wanted to know what was possible so I could insist the installers did it!

I've come to the conclusion that the easiest thing to do will be to fix the speaker myself . Its a 16ohm, 12 watt extension speaker according to the labelling. I presume it works at usual alarm speaker voltage - whatever that is. Any estimates on a resistor value/power rating that would quieten it down would be welcomed!

My backup plan is to get another company to make the adjustments and to then give them the maintenance contract. Would the first company give them the necessary codes - what normally happens in the industry when you try to switch to another company for maintenance?

Allso

Guest Cable Guy

Sound to me like your installer doesn't know very much, For starters fitting a keypad outside the protected area breaks loads of regulations. Fitting a vr in series with your loud speaker will work, but the internal sounder is i think the best solution also i'm sure the guardtec has a bell squawk confirmation which will trigger the outside sounder for 1 second when the system full sets. It's very easy for another company to change the engineer code on a guardtec as long as it hasn't been 'locked' by the company your with now. Good luck with it! ;)

My impression of the problem is.

When the system unsets it goes "diddley dit" This comes out of the internal speaker & the RKP.

If you remove the internal speaker & fit a internal sounder plus disconect the sound from the RKP it will not wake anyone.

Down side you get no feed back from keypad presses and no sound throughout the exit route.

So big question is the customer wiling to pay for some ones expertise to sort this problem out?

In my view the problem is caused by the design of the control panel that is fitted we have used Gardtec range for years no complaints about this except one keypad that was upstairs.

Would it not be easier to fit a different panel. I know they don't make them any more but something like a scanie 9800.

Regards Paul

Trade Member

Archived