Security Installer Community

Resettlement

durry743

Hello Everybody,

I'm new here as i'm about to leave the the H M Forces after 22 years service (Arghhh) Lol.

Well i'm after advice; i've booked myself into TAVCOM to complete the following courses:

CCTV Practical 

Intruder Alarms 

Access Control

IP Security

Fire Alarms

Now i've been told by Electrical Training Providers that i should do an Electrical Installers/Electricians course first; however TAVCOM/some people are saying its complete '********' so i've joined this Forum to speak to actual engineers and find the truth????

Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciative

Durry

Hello Everybody,

I'm new here as i'm about to leave the the H M Forces after 22 years service (Arghhh) Lol.

Well i'm after advice; i've booked myself into TAVCOM to complete the following courses:

CCTV Practical 

Intruder Alarms 

Access Control

IP Security

Fire Alarms

Now i've been told by Electrical Training Providers that i should do an Electrical Installers/Electricians course first; however TAVCOM/some people are saying its complete '********' so i've joined this Forum to speak to actual engineers and find the truth????

Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciative

Durry

Hi Durry

Welcome to the forum.

What was you thinking of doing?   If you just want to work in the security industry and you are competent with electrics then just do the security stuff. If you are thinking about everything electrical then you need to do the lot. 

Hey,

Firstly thank you for the reply, people do have manners Lol

I'm just looking into the servicing & maintenance role to be completely truthful. I've spent sometime working on Main Battle Tanks, as in servicing, maintenance and crewing; therefore understand detection and remedy of faults etc.

I've looked at a number of roles to do upon leaving the Army, but Security Engineer sounds like the only thing i'd find interesting to be truthful. 

All the courses i detailed above are level 3 BTECs and upon completing the four security modules i receive a diploma in security engineering; however then i'll have to find some work experience Lol

I have enough funds to complete an Electrical Installers/Mates Course afterwards; however would it be a waste of my money?

Regards

Durry

I have enough funds to complete an Electrical Installers/Mates Course afterwards; however would it be a waste of my money?

I think so,  you sound like you would be fairly confident wiring up a spur.  What part of the country would you be looking to settle?

I'll get on to that tomorrow ASAP.

I appreciate all the help and direction you have given me this evening.

I'm going to stay on the site as it has been a real good education.

Again, thank you for imparting your wisdom

Regards

Durry

Your welcome, though it was nothing really

• 2 weeks later...