Security Installer Community

Free Lunch?

Luncheon Vouchers were finally scrapped a few years ago.

The reason being was that the tax saving allowance hadn't been increased since 1950 or something.

Therefore it was a 30p tax saving per meal AFAIK.

Had it been a rolling change they would have been well worth keeping.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

You could buy the vouchers from the gov (later a contractor, ATOS??) and give them to your workforce.

Most cafes (millions) and in the end, Tesco and Waitrose etc... accepted them too.

It was a tax saving somewhere but the allowance never changed, so as the years went on it was less and less worth it.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/tiin/tiin824.pdf - ok, so only 15p relief!

lv.jpg

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

I assume you mean away as in not coming home that day? Even so makes no difference, i cannot see why there is an entitlement, my place of work is my home, if i go to the office i pay for my own lunch, as does everybody else who goes to the office from their home, even though their main place of work is the office.

If you don't want to have to buy lunch then take a packed lunch, that's what i did for years. And before anybody says it, if it's hot get a cool bag, if it's cold take a flask with hot soup.

its different when working away from home out of town allowance has always been there in the contracting game be it security or any other trade,personally i think engineers on call should have an allowance as more often that not they dont get home for their tea (at tea time anyway) so its either wait till you do then have it or you have to buy something in between calls which normally will be takeaway shit