Security Installer Community

Returning To The Industry

Hi all,

After a 7 year period in Operations and Facilities Management, I want to get back to security engineering. I had 10 years in the industry, working on a variety of equipment and some very large systems.

Looking round at what is on offer, it seems as there are no advertised routes for anyone with past, if not recent , experience. I did think about topping up my immediate knowledge with a Tavcom course.

I'd appreciate any input as to whether anyone knows of companies looking for someone without current experience or any advice in general.

I'm based in Birmingham and happy to travel.I am also fortunate enough to be in a position where I could compromise and start at a more junior level/salary just to get a 'foot in the door'

Regards,

Matt

Good news as there will be no rich pickings these days :)

So you left the industry as we began to migrate into European standards. Not sure what other employers here feel but personally I wouldn't employ someone with knowledge of how it used to be done as that ends up being the comfort zone. It has been easier to take a newbie and teach them EN than it has been trying to migrate old BS engineers into ones embracing change.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Hi Norman,

Basically because there is only so much sitting at a desk pouring over spreadsheets and contracts that I can take! I enjoy being hands on and that's where I want to be going back to. The earlier reply about EN standards is an odd one as in my line of work we have far more regulation in terms of QSHE, statutory regs, client side rules and internal MI systems etc. Everyone, in every industry has to adapt to changing regulations