Security Installer Community

Wages

Smokie

Im glad I posted this question, it seems its lightened up a normally dismal monday for you

Smokie :ph34r:

Thanks for reading my posts, however insane they may be.

Just remember, 'Success is Built on Commitment, Hard Work, saying F**K it once in a while and most of all LUCK'. Be Happy

simon@sgssystems.com

SGS Systems Web Site

My opinion is that you should pay your apprentice what he is worth to you, in relation to the work that he is doing.

You also have to consider that when he goes to colledge he will be chatting to other guys from different companies. So holding on to him will be difficult, if his wages don't rise, he also has to live. What we used to do was give them a set basic and performance bonuses. We set levels of achievement that his wage would rise at, dependant again on performance.

Training apprentices is the easy bit, holding on to them once they are trained is the hard part.

Young boys and vehicles is expensive to, but to be of any real value to you they need to be able to drive. You buy a really cheap Van that is big enough to do his job but not big enough for all his mates.

Colin.

Guest mr abacus

Hi

we have an 18 year old apprentice who can drive and is very good, what is a decent amount to pay him, he is on £4.00 p/h but has just passed his driving test so is more useful, he is a good egg but I don't want toover pay him!!!

Thanks for you input

Is your apprentice any good? Is he worth holding onto? ( and I mean that in a strictly business sense ) !!! If so, then pay him a fair wage, and based upon performance, attitude, not crashing the company van, and how many cuppa's he makes of course, then increase wages as required on a 6 monthly basis.

I came from a small company, learnt the trade and left smartish due to pay etc. If you're a small company, don't lose a good apprentice due to a meagre 30p an hour or something. Remember, you are 'shaping' the engineer you want. Take on even a semi-experienced apprentice / engineer, and you will have to 'shape' them to your way of running a business all over again.

Archived