Security Installer Community

PTZ Fault

Guest GBElectronics

Guest GBElectronics

Can anyone give me a quick bit of advice as to the most likely offending bit of kit in the following scenario?

We have a Baxall system, multiplexers, matrix and 2 x keyboards, one of our PTZ's a BBV board and an unknown PTZ head. The camera will only move on occasion and, when it does pan or tilt is does not correspond to the controls from the keyboard, it will keep moving after the joystick has been released and stop when it feels like it, also after a couple of minutes of being stationary, it will pan left until it hits a wall and cant go any further, i am assuming this will be a telemetry board or PTZ head fault, but i just want a bit of advice as to the most likely one of these to have a better look at, as the access is very restricted.

Make sure that the telemetry is only enabled on ONE piece of kit; I had a similar fault where I had a BAXALL ZMX Mux and a ZX9 with am keypad off the latter. Because both the Mux and the ZX9 had telemetry enabled it was causing problems similar to yours. I turned it off on the Mux and all was ok.

Alternitively you may need to put a meter on your camera cable and adjust it to the correct values using the appropriate pots on the telemetry board.

I

THE BLACK KNIGHT

"Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company."

Guest cctvman

Hi All,

First are you using coax telemetry ?

if so change to another port on the mux to rule this out.

Are the zoom/focus/ functions working ok ?

if so sounds like the pan/tilt motor or pots on the motor or relays on board

If problems with all PTZ functions ?

Telemetry board or transmission loss (check with meter or scope) swap board over with good one.

Twisted Pair Telemetry?

Do you have a good screen/ground is it a long cable run ? rf probs ?

Lightning Lately ?

Lightning is a great way of knocking out t/l boards

Power?

Is the board 12/24volt check psu on load incase it is u/s check mains supply is ok & if you have a spare mains filter test first

Problem Pan & Tilt?

240v pan/tilt motor or low voltage could be the the relay on the BBV board is sparking after long use try another set of relay contacts if available ie aux 1 ect

Pot return voltage?

Are you useing the pots on the pt motor are they within values norm 3.5-6v as a rule.

As a guess i would say it sounds more like the t /l board is u/s but it depends on what else works or doesnt ????

Best Regards

Al :D

Guest GBElectronics
cheers guys, very helpful advice, the unit is using co-ax telemetry, and the zoom and focus functions are working fine. Will test out your suggestions and hopefully the problem can be solved!

Hi Again,

Def the relays for pan/tilt on board or pt motor

I would say the board though !

Relay sparking when in use causeing voltage spike back into the processer

or the resistor in line with the relay input (check same as other relay tracks) chould be dead short giving no filtering....

cheers

Al :w00t:;)cheers

Using a BBV telemtry reciever only work well with old Baxall equipment if it is a new ZMX5 or any ZMX range it wont work properly, due to different protocals on the telemetry.

If its a normal PTZ not a DC one then get a ZR3WBX Baxalls reciever.

I found this out the hard and expensive way when taking over a site.

Also if the camera does move is there white sparlkles across the top of the screen, if so the video amp in the reciever needs adjusting

Richard

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

Archived