Security Installer Community

Veritas 8c Alarm

Guest Taz

Hi,

We moved into a property recently and it has a veritas 8c alarm system installed. The owners did not leave a manual for it and only gave us the code when my 3 year old activated the panic button and we phoned the estate agent.

Even with the manual (which I think someone on here sent my hubby) we have been unable to set the alarm. I think one reason may be that there used to be a sensor in the bathroom and when we redocrated it we discovered the sensor had been deactivated (wire was cut ) We now are having double glazing installed windows and doors and I'm worried about them removing the door sensors ? I also think the backup battery has now expired (as if there is a power cut the alarm goes off). Would it cost a lot to have someone come out and sort this for us as we are already spending a lot on the new doors and windows I just don't have a lot of extra money, but am worried the alarm will go off if they cut the door sensors.

Please Help :unsure:

We are in cheshire

You really need someone experienced with alarms to sort this out for you and a service form a professional would also be advised. Assuming a call back would be required after the doors/windows were fitted to refit your sensors and a new battery was installed, it should cost you in the region of £100.

:)

If you don't know......ask.

Hi brian,

Thanks for that. I phoned a guy who came out and had a look. He changed the battery, disconnected the doors and rewired it so the kitchen sensor is now the first point of entry. He also showed me how to change the code as we had a veritas 8ccompact manual and the 8c is slightly different so needed different codes.

He only charged £30 which I thought was good, and will be coming back and changing our 3 sensors to animal proof ones and installing more boxes outside, and moving the panic button for us all for another £100.

I thought it was good value anyways.

cheers

When I first spoke to him he said it would probably be £60 to sort it out. I then told him I was thinking about just having it disabled full stop, and I really just wanted someone to have a look and advise me of how to disable the contacts. So he said he'd come out and see and only charge £10 for the time. When he got here he said it just needed a new battery and he could disable the contacts for me and it would only be £30. (at the end of the day he saw a business opportunity, I was just going to have it disabled, and he hasn't done any work in this area yet so if I have his box outside my house he'll get advertising plus I'll use him to service it in the future)

On top of that Now I've decided to keep the alarm up and running he'll make more money by changing the sensors for me.

We don't need the contacts replaced. My front door is never used and faces onto a busy main street opposite a chip shop. NO garden or anything. Back door faces onto village green again v open no chance of anyone ever breaking in without been seen by lots of people.

Add to that the business end of my staffie and you can understand why we don't use it !!

At the end of the day I'm upgrading an alarm we don't even use, but it makes sense to have it cos you just never know !!

I may have got it cheaper simply because I am Irish and have "the gift of the gab"

Archived