Security Installer Community

Honeywell Domonial - Inherited As New Home Owners - Help!

Well hopefully you have the master code. Or a fob that will allow the codes to be changed.

Yes, hopefully the code they have given is the master code.  I'll check this the next time I'm at the property.  I can't see why they wouldn't have been given one as surely even with a contracted alarm system you would be given the right to add/remove users as you please?  I have obtained a copy of the users' manual and installation manual for the Honeywell Domonial so that is at least a step in the right direction.

If the code isn't correct then I assume my only option is to arrange for an engineers visit?  Does this have to be ADT considering it's out-of-contract?  What would you suggest would be a reasonable fee for doing this?

As suggested before I think your best option is to get an engineer out, since this is a new property how are you to know that the system is actually functioning correctly, It needs a service by an engineer. But if your looking at moving sensors for renovations, it might get a bit messy going DIY route without knowing codes and programming ect if something was to go wrong.

Id start from fresh, change panel to HKC or Galaxy (there the best on market IMO) have engineer give a full service and at least you have peace of mind, because as you said who knows what info the previous owner has about system.

Also in my experiance for domestic I think your best to get a local installer rather than going for a high end company such as ADT ect, and as stated before dont just go for cheapest option, go for most reliable and do your research on the company.  

OK, after searching all the usual places I'd expect to find the control panel, I read through the 'welcome letter' the previous occupiers had left to find out that it was located in a kitchen cupboard, along with the BT master socket and a ton of wired extensions!  It also appears that the alarm system was still under the initial 3-year contract with ADT and therefore I assume the equipment still belongs to them, thus if we want to have it removed/reconfigured it will have to be them and not a local installer?  It's most definately a Honeywell Domonial and is branded with ADT logos.

All the lights on the control panel are flashing and there is a flashing 'envelope' icon on the keypad.  If I press any buttons it asks for the 'user code' and the one left by the previous occupiers is accepted.  There were no keyfobs available.  It simply states something like "has the fault been cleared? yes/no", which I assume is related to the fact it cannot detect an active telephone line?  Does anyone know if I'm able to clear this fault (by selecting yes at the fault message) and use it as a 'bells only' alarm until I get around to contacting ADT or a local installer?

Our only method of securing the property at present is by changing the locks, unless we can change the user code, but the system may not allow that unless the fault is cleared.

just ring your local adt office,tell them what you have/tell them what you want then take it from there,you wont fix it by coming on here you need an engineer..otherwise get someone on here local to you to come round and have a look and give you some advise..

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Oxo" data-cid="296706" data-time="1355777422"><p>

You should have changed the locks anyway. Who knows who has a set of keys, the ex owners? Builders? Anyone.<br />

You have spent how many hundred of thousands and not changed the locks?????<br />

<br />

How strange.</p></blockquote>

I never said I hadn't changed the locks. I simply stated that was the only method of security we have right now.

How proud she must have been.

I never said I hadn't changed the locks. I simply stated that was the only method of security we have right now.

Sorry, it read  " Our only method of securing the property at present is by changing the locks, unless we can change the user code" .   To me that is you have yet to explore that avenue.

Archived