Security Installer Community

Starting up on your own

Brian c

most people i know who have went alone have done it while employed..they do it till they are caught,then hopefully you have enough work to keep you going anyway.....guvvykings there known as....

Vat is not an issue, as youve been told.

Get an accountant, you must know someone who is self employed, failing that get the yellow pages out.

Use the recruitment companies to help you find some work aswell as ringing around locally. I would think in manchester you should have no trouble finding someone who will give you something. Here's a good start, but be aware recruitment companies will take a slice of the action.

http://www.securityvacancies.com/asp/front/default.asp

Linda will sort out business cards for you.

You will need a business bank account and of course insurance (public liability).

Mine was done via the Bank (Lloyds tsb) for about £180/year at £5mil.

Only tools and a vehicle needed after that and you off.

You would need to inform the taxman that your self employed and make sure you pay your NI contibutions (£8/per month), your accountant should help here.

Also try Business link, they can help you with free courses on book keeping etc.

20899[/snapback]

wow thanks

you make it sound so easy! i'll start up next week!

what should i call myself?!

If you don't know......ask.

Vat is not an issue, as youve been told.

Get an accountant, you must know someone who is self employed, failing that get the yellow pages out.

Use the recruitment companies to help you find some work aswell as ringing around locally. I would think in manchester you should have no trouble finding someone who will give you something. Here's a good start, but be aware recruitment companies will take a slice of the action.

http://www.securityvacancies.com/asp/front/default.asp

Linda will sort out business cards for you.

You will need a business bank account and of course insurance (public liability).

Mine was done via the Bank (Lloyds tsb) for about £180/year at £5mil.

Only tools and a vehicle needed after that and you off.

You would need to inform the taxman that your self employed and make sure you pay your NI contibutions (£8/per month), your accountant should help here.

Also try Business link, they can help you with free courses on book keeping etc.

20899[/snapback]

wow thanks

you make it sound so easy! i'll start up next week!

what should i call myself?!

20904[/snapback]

brianc ex //.National Installer.//....got a ring to it :lol: parden the pun :lol::lol:

It is easy to start up, keeping it going is a bit harder, at times you do need a large pair of nads.

If you do a good job then you will be very valuable to many companies, dont be afraid to ask for £13-£15/hour, £18-£20 for sat's and nights and £20+ for sundays and B/holidays. Some will laugh at you but its a starting point for negotiating, anyway it will depend on how hard it is to find engineers round your way.

It is easy to start up, keeping it going is a bit harder, at times you do need a large pair of nads.

If you do a good job then you will be very valuable to many companies, dont be afraid to ask for £13-£15/hour, £18-£20 for sat's and nights and £20+ for sundays and B/holidays. Some will laugh at you but its a starting point for negotiating, anyway it will depend on how hard it is to find engineers round your way.

20915[/snapback]

cool thanks for info

:0)

If you don't know......ask.

Guest Adrian

B) I was working b4 I left my job I set a date I was leaving that was 6 months in advance then I worked my nuts of getting the money together, Got the van and all my insurances about 3 months before I left, and kept my head down in work and my mouth shut.

The best thing in the world was handing in my 2 weeks notice. The worst thing was having to work them.

The bigest tip I can give you is whatever money you think you need to get yourself going...... Double it.

The two things that have worked best for me are puting leaflets through doors of propertys that are between 3 and 10 years old (3 -6 years is best) I normally get a reponse rate of about 4 calls per 100 put out. my best reponse has been a road with 40 houses on it all the same bell box's (put in by the buillders) 4 years old and now I have 5 of them under contract in 2 weeks.

The other thing I did was join my local BNI group (Buisiness networking) been a member now for 6 weeks and get about 2-4 paying jobs a week out of it.

Its been a hard slog since I started in May this year but worth every second.

Iv'e been lucky so far I have not had to do subby work at all. You need to believe you can do this no matter what happens. Every day you need to do something to promote your business, I print out my own leaflets on A5 when I,m not working I,m ploding the streets. and get your van sign writen ASAP it maybe your only advert for a while.

Good luck.

Adrian B)

Archived