Security Installer Community

Starting up on your own

Brian c

You've given loads to go on in 'what's involved?'. Thanks a lot :D

I do quite like the sounds of the sub-contracting route and, again, would appreciate all your views and advice.

Who do you know of that offers subby work? (I live in Manchester)

What do you need to start other than work,car and tools?

do you have to adhere to the same rules and regs that apply to starting a business?

etc, etc, etc?!

Thanks in advance

Brian

:)

If you don't know......ask.

do you have to adhere to the same rules and regs that apply to starting a business?

Yes because that is what you would be doing.

20791[/snapback]

oh in that case no to my last question then!

True.

It can all be arranged before I leave work I suppose.

Once I've starting subbying cards in and all legit., I can work for myself aswell as long as it's all legit. also? Is that right?

more or less, yeah

I also meant sort out insurance, tools, van, VAT whilst still at work.

can i set up VAT, insurance etc while still employed?

what else would i need to sort out?

If you whant to set up on your own whilst still employed you can do this by informing your current employer of what you are doing and inform NI and TAX man. You can defer your NI because you are earning allready and pay full NI. This is limted to £4000 if you go over this in your year of self employed and employed you will have to start contributing. But to be honestr you will be quite luckey to go over this because you will be puting the money into your companey thats when you can say to the tax man I earnt £1000 and the rest of £4000 has gone into the companey IE tools, PC, Clothing everything that is taxable so you then pay no tax the following year :D

Vat is not an issue, as youve been told.

Get an accountant, you must know someone who is self employed, failing that get the yellow pages out.

Use the recruitment companies to help you find some work aswell as ringing around locally. I would think in manchester you should have no trouble finding someone who will give you something. Here's a good start, but be aware recruitment companies will take a slice of the action.

http://www.securityvacancies.com/asp/front/default.asp

Linda will sort out business cards for you.

You will need a business bank account and of course insurance (public liability).

Mine was done via the Bank (Lloyds tsb) for about £180/year at £5mil.

Only tools and a vehicle needed after that and you off.

You would need to inform the taxman that your self employed and make sure you pay your NI contibutions (£8/per month), your accountant should help here.

Also try Business link, they can help you with free courses on book keeping etc.

Archived