Security Installer Community

Custom Z&l Bracket Ideas - Glass Door With Aluminimum Frame

JasonOfOz

Hi Everyone,

I could do with some brainstorming and ideas from the forum with this little challenge I have as i'm sure we're not the first ones to come up against something like this.

We were told last minute that the door we were to mount the lock to was not only glass but had an aluminum frame.

Before we knew it the frame was installed.

We need to mount an electric locking device to this door -

Options to consider:

1. Cut into the frame and mount the L-bracket & magnet to that

- Pros: No changes to the existing equipment specified, only labour time required

- Cons: It would look ugly as it would be impossible to cut it in a tidy fashion with the tools we have on site

2. Fabricate custom bracket (extend the horizontal length of the bracket)

- Pros: This would look best and give the client the result they were looking for

- Cons: Lead time and expense to have a custom bracket fabricated

Other options considered to date:

1. Mounting lock vertically (the other door leaf is locked down) - dismissed because of the reduction in holding force

2. Mounting sheer lock - box holding the strike plate was too wide requiring the same sort of customisation works as above - dismissed as ti was even more complex to customise this

Here are the pictures to illustrate:

Thanks for your ideas and thoughts :)

Jason

post-16198-0-91519400-1328535005_thumb.j

120206 ZLG Bracket Customisation1.pdf

James,

As always you are amazingly quick!

If we flush in a solenoid bolt - an option I forgot to mention that was discussed already - is that we still need to mount the receiver to something.

So far i haven't been able to find a solenoid bolt receiver that can be mounted to a glass "U" bracket.

The ones that do have a receiver with a "U" bracket aren't suitable because the solenoid bolt cannot be flush mounted (as in the example below)

e.g. http://www.specialized-security.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/E/B/EB300VGL_1.jpg

Keep the ideas coming :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would share an update with everyone.

We decided to go down the route to fabricate a new bracket.

As it was a front door and really couldn't wait to bring it online we came up with our own "interim" solution that might help you if you find yourself in a similar position.

It seems to work and best of all, actually looks quite good (almost good enough as a permanent solution i think - if only we weren't perfectionists!)

Basically we took a glass door Z/L bracket kit (that includes the bracket for a glass fanlight) and moved a few parts around.

As the picture shows, we used the bracket that is normally attached to the fanlight to give us the extra length we needed to extend the bracket.

I will post a picture of the finished result later but here is the layout...

post-16198-0-06679600-1329543354_thumb.g

Archived