Security Installer Community

Looks Like Ir Bounceback - Help

A1Guvner

Hi,

we are having some issues with some Neptune IR domes IP67, day time we have no issues at all but when the domes go into IR you lose the quality of the image, went back to our supplier who advised it was IR bounceback and suggested we changed the IR gasket which we tried to no avail, went back to the supplier who advised it could be condensation so we tried putting silica gell inside the cam, still bad image, supplier sent out new cameras and that recified 4 out of the 6 we had issues with, 2 are still giving us problems but what i have tried this morning was setting up some of the cameras with the known issue on the bench put into IR and lovely picture, during the times when on site we only have the issue when we put the dome cover back on.

Very strange if anyone has any advice i would be very gratefull.

Doc1.pdf

Everything you are describing points squarely at ir bounce back from the dome cover, the ring around the lens is supposed to stop that so check that it is flush with the cover when the cover is on.

The usual tell tale with this style of camera is you can normally make out the pattern of the ir LEDs in the bounce back.

Looks like a couple of issues there, some bounce back and some caused by the IR range being too short for the area you are trying to view.

Basically I think you're asking too much of the cameras you have, and they have been wrongly specified.

Try some better quality IR domes or separate IR lighting or non IR cameras (depending on the lighting available).

Originally said by Charles Babbage
On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

Not sure if you guys saw the pictures i have attached, i agree when you normally get IR bounce you can almost see the IR's and when i do exagerate the issue and point the camera at something further away it does make the clouding issue worse but the gasket is tight up against the dome. with an IP67 dome do you think it could be likely condenstaion is getting trapped inside when the unit was fitted and if so do you think a breather hole would help

Doubt if it's condensation, the spacer ring should still prevent bounce back. Condensation should cause a blurred image both at night and during the day.

You said it yourself, problem only evident when the cover is on, squarely points to the spacer ring not doing what it is supposed to. Don't tamper with them (warranty void) & get them replaced, it's up to the supplier to identify the cause once both agree there is a problem

• 4 weeks later...

Those neptune are meant to be IP67 ?

I have used a number different cameras and had the tinyest amount of condinsation at certain times of day on a few sites, forms exactly where the lens is and only about size 5p , tried a "breather" hole which cured this issue on the samsung domes, only difference is i never use Domes with onboard IR so didnt have the seperator ring to worry about

We have had a similar problem at close range with the exdir range of cameras from this supplier. I have narrowed it down to the fact that they have what they call smart infrared or something like that. The ir output is adjusted automatically in the camera to compensate ir bounce back to eliminate whiteout of close objects. We found that when it rains an water settles on the bubble or the dome bubble gets dirty/ scratched the ir backs off and gain over compensates resulting in images like this. We won't be using these domes outside again. Hope this helps

Ongoing Update,

All is still not resolved, have tried on of the EXDIR in place of the Neptune, that was the first nightmare as the base plate is a lot bigger on the neptune and does not cover with the EXDIR, fitted one as a trial, problem solved no issue at all, supplier still sctratch their head, got to go back this week to change all the rest and then fight for compensation off the supplier for our labour input on site visits. i think going forward i too will be avoiding Domes with IR

Archived