Security Installer Community

Comms Fail Error On Galaxy G2-20

Hello

I started getting the Comms Fail Error on the Galaxy G2-20 a few days ago, i believe after we switched broadband supplier from Virgin Cable to BT ADSL

I asked my installer to check it out, he says i need to replace the panel.

Is it at all possible that it's due to the fact there is no filter installed on the Alarm connection to the phone line?

Or, could it be just a coincidence that i got this error after switching to BT?

But, when the Alarm was installed few years ago, we did not have Cable we in fact had broadband and we never had this issue?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. If you know of or faced a similar situation would be great, or if it's a known issue and you can shed some light on it.

Thank you all

Hi,

All equipment that is connected to a telephone line that has broadband enabled on it, should have a broadband filter.

I have known it that 'certain' lines/suppliers are more forgiving than others for equipment connected without a filter but it's very hit and miss as to relability of comms.

I would be very dubious about the panel requiring replacement-at the very least your 'installer' should be using filters on a broadband enabled line!.

Just as an aside, how do you know that a filter isn't fitted?,some are housed in a typical BT socket type sized box and it's not really apparent as to what it is-ie not the plug in type one uses for phones, PC's etc.

Thank you for your prompt reply Rulland

I know because it wasn't in the equipment list supplied with my quote. Also, the engineer who installed the system told me you don't need one, and he was right at the time.

Is installing a filter an easy job? Can I do it?

I will check when i go home, but i am certain the panel is not just plugged into a normal BT phone socket. I think it is connected some other way, not sure how.

But, when the Alarm was installed few years ago, we did not have Cable we in fact had broadband and we never had this issue?

Am I miss-reading this?

Normally the installer would cable direct into the back of the BTnearest socket, to prevent 'unplugging' by mistake especially on a communicating system-bit different if it's just a dialler!.

no. The sms on that panel uses a free TAP service from one of the mobile phone providers. It is massivly unreliable. The servers fail from time to time and as its a free service the providers get round to fixing it when they feel like it etc.

You need to chnage the programming to a different one or wait for o2 / tmobile etc to get round to fixing the server. Or stop using a free server

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

agreed the g2 (its a 44) can take a gsm module and uses the mobile sms service. However the 20 and the bigger panels use the free sms servers. You would of been charged per message by your provider but not per message but per minute on the number it called.

Some panels use the BT sms servers that is better as its a paid for service that compatrible land line phones use. However it needs a bt line and a monthly fee.

As digi monitoring isnt much per year i dont see why anyone would offer the unreliable free ones. well at least without telling the client the potential risks and documenting them

agreed the g2 (its a 44) can take a gsm module and uses the mobile sms service. However the 20 and the bigger panels use the free sms servers. You would of been charged per message by your provider but not per message but per minute on the number it called.

Some panels use the BT sms servers that is better as its a paid for service that compatrible land line phones use. However it needs a bt line and a monthly fee.

As digi monitoring isnt much per year i dont see why anyone would offer the unreliable free ones. well at least without telling the client the potential risks and documenting them

Sorry for the dum question, but what is digi monitoring and how can I get it, if possible?

your panel has a proper digital communicator in it. You need to buy it from a security company, they will then program the relevant details into your panel. Hey presto reliable single path signalling.

Depending on company and service provided etc, expect to pay anywhere from £6 to £25 per month for it.

your panel has a proper digital communicator in it. You need to buy it from a security company, they will then program the relevant details into your panel. Hey presto reliable single path signalling.

Depending on company and service provided etc, expect to pay anywhere from £6 to £25 per month for it.

Just to clarify - when you say my panel has a proper digital communicator in it. You are suggesting that this has gone wrong and therefore i get the error message and that it needs to be replaced? Or are we talking about adding a GSM module?

And when you say pay between £6 to £25 per month. I assume you are referring to a monitoring service! Something that i am not interested in for the time being.

I only want to receive SMS messages on 3 mobile phones when/If the Alarm go Off. That used to be enough for me in the past, till i started getting this Comms Fail Error

And when you say pay between £6 to £25 per month. I assume you are referring to a monitoring service! Something that i am not interested in for the time being.

but it will be cheaper than....

I only want to receive SMS messages on 3 mobile phones when/If the Alarm go Off. That used to be enough for me in the past, till i started getting this Comms Fail Error

replace the controls for one which uses the panel manufactures SMS gateway rather than the networks free one,

Mr? Veritas God

Archived