Security Installer Community

Galaxy G3-48C Adding Ethernet Module

DanielHole

I have a Galaxy G3-48C

I'm trying to add an ethernet module but wanted to cehck the wiring as there are currenlty no resistors on the RS485 Line?

The pannel currenlty has one keypad ( Honeywell CP083) wired to RS485 Line 1 but there is no resistor anywhere on this circuit - should there be?

The B1, A1, GND +12V are all connected to the keypad

I have tried adding the ethernet module by dasiy chaining all the wires and it powers up but then stops working

I think it may be a voltage or resistor issue?

can anyone help

Thanks

Dan

There should be a 680R termination resistor on the last device at each end of the chain. The panel is generally at one end of the chain, so has a jumper on board which connects an on-board resistor across the data lines. At the other end of the chain you need another resistor fitted.

I haven't seen any issues with adding the module at the panel end as a spur on the chain without touching the panel jumper.

What exactly do you mean by "stops working". Does it work up to a certain point, then drop out and cause a COM4 missing event ? Is the module fitted within the panel ?

There should be a 680R termination resistor on the last device at each end of the chain. The panel is generally at one end of the chain, so has a jumper on board which connects an on-board resistor across the data lines. At the other end of the chain you need another resistor fitted.

I haven't seen any issues with adding the module at the panel end as a spur on the chain without touching the panel jumper.

What exactly do you mean by "stops working". Does it work up to a certain point, then drop out and cause a COM4 missing event ? Is the module fitted within the panel ?

OK it is installed in the pannel then daisy chainned to the keypad

when i first add it then exit engineering mode

it told me 2 mods missing, the keypad and com4 i removed these then it said 2 added keypad and com4

The module seems to work randomly and the ethernet module gets VERY HOT ???

Pannel           Ethernet          Keypad
B1     --->         B       --->      B
                                         Resistor
A1     --->         A       --->      A

GND    --->         -       --->      -

+12V   --->         +       --->      +

On the ethernet module it an S aswell with nothing connected

I have been doing some testing with it and it appears to work when you first power it up but then stops working

the LED3 the red one blinks for sec on sec off when it is working

when its not it just flashes for a split second

can anyone suggest what may be wrong ?

Sorry Daniel, I have been out of the country, that's why my response has been slow.

Your description of the red LED sequence isn't making sense to me. When you get a steady 1.5 sec on / 1.5 sec off, this means that the module has not been configured by the panel. The short flash 0.1 sec on / 0.9 sec off means that it's configured and communicating properly. The wiring information that you supplied is correct. The 'S' connection is not used and should be left unconnected.

Where exactly is the module getting hot ? If it's around the corner with the 3 pin voltage regulator, then this is normal, although it should be hot to touch and not burning hot. If it is either of the large flat pack IC's that are very hot, then the module may have a fault and require repair.

From the sounds of what you are saying, it does sound like there is some sort of fault with the module, although they are generally very reliable. It's probably heating up, exhibiting the fault and then dropping out. Don't be confused by the keypad dropping out at the same time. The Ethernet module has an inbuilt virtual keypad at address 15 and that's why you're seeing the message for 2 devices.

I could take a look at this for you. Can you confirm if it has ever worked for you?

Oh, another thing. Can you also state the firmware versions of the Panel and the E080-2 module ? If they're fairly recent, then they shouldn't cause any issues like you're seeing. The latest Ethernet module firmware is 2.08 and the panel is 5.55.

Danielson, are you in IT?

Indeed i am - have i provided you with some top quality IT support :)

Oh, another thing. Can you also state the firmware versions of the Panel and the E080-2 module ? If they're fairly recent, then they shouldn't cause any issues like you're seeing. The latest Ethernet module firmware is 2.08 and the panel is 5.55.

How can i check the firmware version ?

Sorry Daniel, I have been out of the country, that's why my response has been slow.

Your description of the red LED sequence isn't making sense to me. When you get a steady 1.5 sec on / 1.5 sec off, this means that the module has not been configured by the panel. The short flash 0.1 sec on / 0.9 sec off means that it's configured and communicating properly. The wiring information that you supplied is correct. The 'S' connection is not used and should be left unconnected.

Where exactly is the module getting hot ? If it's around the corner with the 3 pin voltage regulator, then this is normal, although it should be hot to touch and not burning hot. If it is either of the large flat pack IC's that are very hot, then the module may have a fault and require repair.

From the sounds of what you are saying, it does sound like there is some sort of fault with the module, although they are generally very reliable. It's probably heating up, exhibiting the fault and then dropping out. Don't be confused by the keypad dropping out at the same time. The Ethernet module has an inbuilt virtual keypad at address 15 and that's why you're seeing the message for 2 devices.

I could take a look at this for you. Can you confirm if it has ever worked for you?

I bought the module from Ebay so cannot confirm if it has worked

The reason i thought it was working when the led flashed longer is the lan link lite also came on and the module responded to ping requests.

when it blinked quickly the lan link led also blinks for the same time period.

The card now seems to have stopped working completly

when i add power to it the Lan link LED comes straight on and fades slightly, so maybee it was faulty . but now i would say it is faulty

I've never seen the link led come on faded, so yes, sounds faulty. The boards ar worth around £50 to £80 second hand depending on the firmware level, so it may not be cost effective to repair. A faulty board is probably still worth something on eBay though. The firmware level of the Ethernet board is on a label on the board. The panel firmware is on a label and from menu option. If your seller accepts returns, you should send it back.

Just to add: You did check that the supply at the module input is 12v and not lower? I assumed that this would have been one of the first steps you took.

Archived