Security Installer Community

Optima Xm6

robp77

I recently did some decorating and caused one the PIRs to stop working. I repleced this PIR for a new one. When the panel is now in standby mode, non of the PIRs flash red, when motion is detected. Also when I try to set the alarm, all the lights for the zones on the panel flash red with a continiung sound -it does not let me switch-on the alarm for when leaving the premises. I have checked the wiring for the new PIR, can anyone help as to the cause of this fault?

Rob

I recently did some decorating and caused one the PIRs to stop working. I repleced this PIR for a new one. When the panel is now in standby mode, non of the PIRs flash red, when motion is detected. Also when I try to set the alarm, all the lights for the zones on the panel flash red with a continiung sound -it does not let me switch-on the alarm for when leaving the premises. I have checked the wiring for the new PIR, can anyone help as to the cause of this fault?

Rob

Could have something to do with replacing the PIR, live. You've blown the supply fuse to the detectors.

Unfortunately I don't know this panel so I can't point directly to the fuse concerned.

Just remember that there is a 240v mains supply inside the control panel, isolate before poking around.

One other thing, looking at a fuse is not the way to find out if it is still in working order.

A meter is needed.

Good luck.

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

The AUX fuse has blown in your alarm panel. This fuse supplies the power to your sensors and bellbox.

When the fuse blew you should have noticed, the lights on the sensors stopped working and the external bell should sound for 15-20 minutes.

It is possible the fuse was damaged when replacing the sensor, or a cable has been damaged.

This fuse should be a 20mm Quick Blow 1.6A on an Optima, it is the left fuse of the two located below the keypad.

Beware of mains voltages when removing the panel lid!

If you didn't notice your external bell ringing when the fuse blew, the battery in the sounder could be faulty.

Also if you haven't had a service in a while the lead-acid battery in the control panel could also be faulty.

If so I would recommend getting a full service of your alarm system, and let the engineer worry about replacing your fuse.

Thank you for your suggestions. The fuse had blown and the external bell did ring for 15 mins. I have changed the fuse and also checked the second fuse, but I still get no lights flashing on any of the PIRs. Any other suggestions would be appreciated?

Rob

Thank you for your suggestions. The fuse had blown and the external bell did ring for 15 mins. I have changed the fuse and also checked the second fuse, but I still get no lights flashing on any of the PIRs. Any other suggestions would be appreciated?

It sounds like there is a short on a cable causing the fuse to blow.

I would check the fuse again, (if possible) it's best to check there is DC voltage on the terminals supplying your sensors.

Thanks for all the support. I got the PIR lights working again. I changed both fuses (even though only one seemed blown)and made sure they were properly seated. It seems to have done the trick.

Rob

Thanks for all the support. I got the PIR lights working again. I changed both fuses (even though only one seemed blown)and made sure they were properly seated. It seems to have done the trick.

Rob

Ah, you were looking at the fuses, not testing them with a meter then, common mistake. :P:yes:

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

Archived