Security Installer Community

Veritas 8C

rosiewestie

Hi,

Hope I am doing this posting correctly - if not apologies! Also I apologise for rabbiting on!

Our flat has an Veritas 8C alarm fitted and until recently it has been excellent and no problems.

However we had a massive flood from the flat above ours and to cut a long story short, the alarm

no longer works.

The Landlord of the above flat sent an Alarm Engineer out who told us the following:

the existing cabling has been damaged due to the water ingress. the best way forward is to tell the the Company you will

employ to do the job involved it will need a partial rewire to the rear of the building.

I did email this guy who was very friendly but he cannot do it until August as he has too much work on.

My flat is a ground floor 2 bedroomed flat, the window in the lounge was where the initial water poured down,

all the windows are alarmed.

I have looked online and have had no luck trying to find someone to repair it in Newcastle upon Tyne.

I know I might have to get a new Alarm fitted but do not want to get ripped off on price - one Company said to me to

get a wireless one as they are much better than the hardwired ones - but looking on the internet this does not appear to be the case.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

no, dont get a wireless one, without seeing it I doubt anything needs re wiring.

Get three local firms to give quotes, return them to the landlord and tell him he has 24hrs to arrange your repair.

The flood happened in February! I am now fed up of waiting for upstairs landlord to organise this - thats why I am trying too :(

Have rung 2 Companies in Newcastle and they say they do not advise a repair but to have a new alarm system done!

I am sure it can be repaired - @Adrian will try to find some SSAIB or NSI Companies in Nwcastle.

I just feel out of my depth as I know nothing about alarms.

If the panel has water damage it is scrap, it will need to be replaced, but the company should be able to use some of the cabling and detectors etc....Like i said SSAIB or NSI companies, these are the industry inspection bodies for security installation companies, this should give you some confidence.

amealing@texe.com

Head of Industry Affairs

Visit Our Website
Texecom

@ Adrian - No the panel is fine its in the hall, water just came down the window and ceiling in the lounge - the

problem is the back part of the flat so 1 window in lounge, 1 window in the kitchen and kitchen back door.

(Flat is a Tyneside Flat - Victorian house originally built into 2 flats so 2 front doors)

No where else in the flat is effected.

Thank you Adrian

IMHO it is very unlikely that cabling has been damaged by water ingress-yes control panel, yes detectors/alarm devices, as suggested get a reputable local reputable intruder company in to check-just because they may not be NSI/SSAIB doesn't mean they're not up to scratch!-check your insurance requirements.

Thank you for your help.

I have now emailed 2 Companies registered with SSAIB who are local to the flat.

Once again many thanks

I work in Newcastle area and as said above, Get 3 quotes from local companies.

Check with neighbours to see who they have,are they happy etc.

Most likley the system will need checking but doubt it needs a new system.

Best of luck.

Archived