Security Installer Community

Had a bad day

mmm You think thats bad, wonderful admin team in our uni decided we needed the car park re-surfacing so we get it all replaced and now this sloping car park (that slopes towards the building) has a nice new tarmac surface, and to protect the building from flooding we have a big grate between the buidling and water runn-off from the car park... unfortunately no-body ever tested it, so one saturday afternoon we had terrential rain in York, which proceeded to fill the grate, eventually the grate failed and water seeped accross the walkway into the first floor rear entrance of the building, soaking the carpet and seeping to the ground floor, the IT suite, after damaging many computers and fusing parts of the electrical system, the water continued to seep through part of the 1st floor into the ground floor server room, which contains a large part of the Yorkshire Grid supercomputer as well as data on major projects.... no-body told us how much damage had been caused but I would imagine the insurance company wernt very happy... in fact I think the insurance company are suing the car park architect for not dealing with water run off properly.

Lets hope it dont rain that bad again!

I'm not sure this is in the right forum, but continuing the "bad day" theme..

The company I worked for from 1998 to 2003 was unlucky with sewage, and I was responsible for most of the IT kit and got to sort out the results:

First, in old offices, the basement car park used to flood regularly and sewage would float in. The aircon heat exchangers were down there, on a wall.

One weekend the flooding was so bad it cut off the aircon. When we arrived on Monday the (small, crowded) computer room was over 60 degrees C. Amazingly everything was still running. So we opened up every orifice and let it cool down, whilst bathing in the smell rising from below.

Secondly, after moving to new offices, the sewage outlet from the toilets got blocked. It transpired that the builders had laid the main exit pipe going somewhat uphill and "something" had finally settled. Almost the whole ground floor was flooded, under the raised floor tiles, with sewage. It took months to clear out and cost the insurers a fortune!

But the computer room was worst. Again nothing stopped, despite power and data cables being in 3 inches of slurry. But it had a higher raised floor that was integral to the air conditioning. Basically the aircon sucked in hot air at ceiling height and blew it into the floor void where it came up through vents.

You can imagine what that stank like! Well maybe you can't, but I KNOW!

:w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:

Archived