Security Installer Community

Scantronic 9651 Initial Power Up Problem

Guest Benny

As I said before, be good to keep asking questions on the same site.

Stops making others think and replicate things twice.

So now you know who I am on another site.

Still the same advice is it not?

I`m sorry, thought you said 9651.

As with the expanders drop all off and see what happens.

Then rebuild the system.

Its basically check and test, check and test.

Again sorry for the confusion.

Hi Oxo, no need to apologise, I should have been clearer in my post. I'LL disconnect everything except keypads, and build the system up, and update all o who have assisted me on how I get on. i certainly did get carried away with the install!! Can I supplement the system with an external power supply such as this one...

http://www.hunters-wholesalers.co.uk/compliant-grade-with-battery-upto-size-250x215x80en21209a-p-530.html?cPath=62_

Ps: Thank you to all who have kindly taken the time to help me out...much appreciated

Yep that will work,

And we are here to assist.

Hi Oxo, I now get it, Yes I now know who you are!! I'm sorry If I've made you answer twice. It was because I was impatient, Guess I was panicking & needed answers quickly. In future will bear this in mind.

Thanks again for your time on answering to my posts.

Will let you know how I get on,

Thanks

As an aside, I've noticed you have an SD1, please remember that once programmed for your needs, if the power is dropped to the SD1 all programming will be lost and you'll have to reprogramme it.

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

The problem do deem either a short or overloaded, why you have to disconnect everything to prove the panel and keypad work. let's face it, if that' is duff your going nowhere fast.

You need to know what you expect to 'pull' from your supplies, and what is available for auxiliary uses after running the panel, keypads for sirens etc.

Knowing this figure, you can do a simple current drawn test by placing meter on Amps in series with the battery, and switching off the mains, any major anomalies will then show up.

tbh system this size, if motion or siezmic detectors used, i would power from a separate PSU, with split individual fused outputs. get a cable short it won't kill the panel, but blows a fuse in the AUX PSU, your not faced with a panel that's dead, and know which detector or group of caused it from the fuse (and log zone alarm indication if set).

saves a lot of frustration and time, remmember this system could be working for 20 or more years, and your the one backing it up.

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Thanks for the advice arfur, I'LL try what you've said & let you know how I get on.

cheers`

Your welcome, non of us were born with the info, so most will have been where you are at some time.

I had to rely on training and gaining experience this forum has many younger and also experienced members, we don't always agree.

the advantage to you or anyone making their way is to see the thinking behind the answere's, and so learn from many 'instructors'.

You will develope you own routines, knowing others allows you to try out and decide what works for you :).

My advice is always test the panel and rkp soon as possible, then test cables for shorts before connecting, takes a little longer, but if there is a fault it can save a lot of time 'guessing' after the event.

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Have to agree there.

Fit panel and keypad (s).

Power up, make sure they work ( can be duff kit occasionally).

Test all cables for shorts.

Then install.

Benny use either site, as before you`ll get the same advice.

I note you have overloaded the panel on the other responce.

Also you need to tie the negatives in with the supplementry PSU.

Really not bothered where I post, as long as it assists.

Archived