Security Installer Community

Local Panel Connections For Udl Using Netbook

Yeah i've seen they do USB (as well as serial), just a pain the Galaxy still uses serial lol

never realy played with an E type type laptop,

i like the idea of a s,all lght machine with good battery life, and wondered just how compatible they are with the likes of USB converters. Gardtecs UDL you have a serial cable, i've used a usb to serial converter which works fine on a standard lappy.

i also know not all USB converters are equal, with Siemens phone systems for istance they won't work if the USB adapter don't address IRQ's, and not many USB converters do that i have found.

i prefer the pcmcia cards tbh as less is hanging of what is a fragule port, but all you can get on most modern laptops are the express card slot - never seen an express card but the flipping slot is restricted to them :(.

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Took the plunge and ordered it, only concern i have is compatibility with Windows starter, however you can upgrade to full windows if need be. I use a keyspan usb/serial on my lappy, got it to work no problems so far.

Got it! Good bit of kit. So far works fine with RSS, I've loaded up the Menvier/scanny UDL also Wintex. They both load up fine, waiting for a USB comm for the Texe. Struggling with the Menvier UDL though. When I plug into one on my proper laptop running full Windows 7, it see's it, but fails to upload the drivers. You have to do it manually. Then it works no problem. However, when I plug it into this net book, it doest see anything there, no USB 'acknowledgement' noise lol. I'll look into it, could be a Win 7 starter issue........... you can upgrade to full 7 though with no issues, so thats an option. Might even give their tech a call see if they have a patch or something.

The Menviers/Scanny's use a dedicated USB A/B connector, (have the connector soldered to the pcb no less) so not that. Strange as it see's every other USB device (inc the USB to Serial device) i've plugged in so far. I have heard something about backwards compatibility. Its probably just the menvier software

Archived