Security Installer Community

Need Some Advice On Esp Infinite

mushy408

Hello! I came across this forum after looking for the user manual for the ESP Infinite alarm system installed at my home. I'm an experienced electronics engineer, and thought I'd set myself a challenge and try to sort my alarm system out.

I've lived here 2 years now, private rented from a landlord. Before we even agreed to move in, I made a comment about the alarm system...

The landlord said he didn't know the user code but would contact the previous tenant & see if they remember it. This was over 2 years ago and I've never heard nothing of it. To be honest I think he's washed his hands on it even though HE OWNS the property (ex-council).

Anyways, I haven't been too bothered about the alarm until recently. I had my motorcycle stolen, then a few days later someone try forcing the patio doors with a spade (from my shed) but me and Mr. Baseball bat were pretty quick down the stairs and I caught the d**khead as he ran past the side door. As usual, the police did ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING other than give me a leaflet (to wipe my **** on?) while I got left with the cost of the excess for my bike & 2 patio doors that would no longer close & lock properly. ALL of it came out of my pocket, although the landlord eventually stumped up for the doors.

I'm planning a holiday soon so would like the system running something like while me and my partner are away. I understand I can have a company 'Adopt' my system for maintenance etc for a fee, but would prefer to do this myself as I don't have £££ to throw around (xmas & holiday) and the system is only been installed 5-6 years (according to landlord)

About 3-4 days before Xmas, I was repainting the bathroom door which has a wireless mag sensor installed. I thought I'd remove the sensor to finish the painting - BAD IDEA!!!

Although the alarm system was not armed, the alarm went off and scared the s**t out of me. After a couple of minutes of trying to dissarm it (1234, 0000, 1111 etc) I thought I'd pull the plug...

To cut a long story short, I've removed the fuse on the AC supply (fusebox) and not touched it OR ANY OF THE SENSORS for about 20 mins. The alarm eventually stopped. Since then I haven't dared touch anything until now.

First look at the CP shows to me that it's dead - no power, no LEDs nothing. I know that previous to this, the battery LED was blinking to say the backup battery was naffed which is why it's now TOTALLY dead (phew)

My only fear is that if I put power back to it, the alarm will sound again. I have yet to remove the panel from the wall and dismantle.

As I said earlier, I'm very familiar with electronics etc. I've already got the installation manual(s) and have a pretty good idea of how to remove and refit the alarm. I know about the tamper switch in the back of the panel which needs to be bypassed when I re-install it.

I know getting the Installer/Master code will be like pi**ing in the wind (legal, etc) but like I said I would prefer to do this myself. Most people/companies want ££ just to reset the system codes. I just want to reset the system so I can use it with the 3-4 sensors/PIRs that are already setup, nothing more.

If by leaving the power out completely (has been for 2 weeks now) does this reset the system to factory default? I'm 100% sure the backup battery is gone as the system has NO POWER whatsoever.

I've looked thru the manuals & also on the internet at the RS232 RP kits for this system - is this the only way I can reset it? I'm guessing that pulling the power does nothing more than switch the unit off & the settings/memory is Flash memory or Non-Volatile (kept after a total powercut)

Can anyone advise me on this? Thanks for your time!

Sorry for the essay I wrote. I gathered by the number of reviews on this system that they are pretty cack.

Can't exactly bin it as it's not mine, but it doesn't work atm so I suppose the landlord won't miss it.

I'm gonna strip it down later tonight and have a look see if there's anything I can do with my JTAG programmer. If the flash chip is something I recognise I could always remove it (rework station) and drop it in the Willem progger and dump the contents. I can't see ESP goin to the extent of encrypting the FW.

As I said, this is my own little project to 'dabble' with. Got nothing on atm so I'll give it a shot.

Thanks for your input guys!

Doubt you`ll get all the info needed from the chip.

Then you have to programme it.

As I said, landlords responsibility.

Sorry for the curt ( but meant as a joke ) reply.

Wisdom tooth was trying to escape. Now its trying to kill me after a filling.

Make the landlord earn his keep. I would.

But fair play if your going to do as you mention.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm gonna strip it down later tonight and have a look see if there's anything I can do with my JTAG programmer. If the flash chip is something I recognise I could always remove it (rework station) and drop it in the Willem progger and dump the contents. I can't see ESP goin to the extent of encrypting the FW.

As I said, this is my own little project to 'dabble' with. Got nothing on atm so I'll give it a shot.

an alternative would be to go down the pub & get a girlfriend.

:gimme:

Archived