Security Installer Community

Alarm Cables Running Parallel With Mains Cables

astro

Hi Guys,

I'm about to start installing a Texecom Premier 48 panel with Texecom DT's. I know it shouldn't be done but I may have to run the PIR and RKP cables parallel to some mains wiring. Has anyone any experience of this situation and if so the recommended distance between the two sets of cables to avoid false alarms. I have around 4" between the mains cables and any alarm cables.

If it's a definate no-no then I'll have to use screened cables but I'd rather not if at all possible.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Graham

I'd use screened cable.

Running them together doesn't comply and it may cause stability issues.

Is there really no other way?

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately as the installation is in an old half-timbered house, the only viable route is along one of the wooden beams and guess what - the sparks have already used that for their wiring ! Looks like screened cable then.

Many Thanks,

Graham

Hi OXO,

I guess screened is the way to go as there's very limited routing options as the sparks have used all the best routes for their wiring !! Once completed I'll check and see what if any induction is present.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Graham

Wireless not an option?

To stop interferrence by induction from mains, separation should be 18" for anything over a yard (in old money). If required you sholud cross a right angles

Mixing low voltage and mains cables in the same trunking through hole, access hole etc is forbidden under building regs, but if clipped along an open beam I'm not sure if this restriction still applies.

Interference issues aside, you can (i think) run a separation trunking or conduit in a riser where mains exists. iirc it has to offer the same level of mechanical insulation for both cables, more than concidering the different voltage potentials. That's why for instance 3 channel dado trunking is 'allowed' to carry comms and mains alongside but in different compartments.

If using screen cable, someone should advise if both ends or if one end, which is grounded.

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

One end only.

Thanks Arfur and OXO for the info, it's much appreciated. I'll have another look and see if I can route the cables another way, away from the mains cabling. As a matter of interest, before I start installing the Texecom DT's, is there any minimum distance they should be from mains cabling ?

Graham

Archived