Security Installer Community

Access Control, Magswipe Existing Cards

We have a golf club currently on standalone act10's

They want to have a card based access system but have 4000 cards already issued for their golf club system. It does cashless sales on the tills, score entering etc.

Anywho, what id like to do is move them to prox slowly. I hate magswipe in access control.

Any advise on a system that can use the existing cards now, and over time can have the cards replaced with isoprox with mag?

I understand it will need a swipe reader and a prox but once all the old cards are out of circulation they can be removed.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

We have a golf club currently on standalone act10's

They want to have a card based access system but have 4000 cards already issued for their golf club system. It does cashless sales on the tills, score entering etc.

Anywho, what id like to do is move them to prox slowly. I hate magswipe in access control.

Any advise on a system that can use the existing cards now, and over time can have the cards replaced with isoprox with mag?

I understand it will need a swipe reader and a prox but once all the old cards are out of circulation they can be removed.

There are two or three Card systems in general use around the Golf Clubs.

These as you say are used for membership ID, Cashless and often Handicap status/level for competitions or when visiting other Clubs.

The card structure is little different to your bank card.

EG>

16 number format, usually also embossed on front of card. First 4 digits usually but not exclusively are the 'site code, followed by an issue number, then a couple of digits for 'other' uses, the 4-6 digit User number.

Changing to prox is not straightforward - other systems/uses.

Best way is to move them onto Mifare (with magstripe if you wish)but you need to be talking to the cashless people. A no go without them.

You also need the system to easily handle different card number structures - not all can.

downer

I was hoping i could just read the cards into the access system?

Co op from the cashless people not an option. They do access control but the site wants us to do that.

The cards they get from the cashless people are blank as far as i know they have their own card encoder

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

downer

I was hoping i could just read the cards into the access system?

Co op from the cashless people not an option. They do access control but the site wants us to do that.

The cards they get from the cashless people are blank as far as i know they have their own card encoder

You can read the cards into the access system - but not all systems are flexible with card formats.

Move them to Mifare Sector coded and the card number structure can stay the same. Tills just need new readers then.

Standard stuff is this, provided the club secretary isn't a complete technophobe - they get frightened by the scare stories put forward by the intransigent cashless companies.

So can i use an act system to read these cards as they are? Sounds like my plan to move them to some sort of prox is a non starter.

You can. Many clubs have it in. The Mifare readers are very good, in that you can format them yourself on site.

Re: Prox. Mifare is prox.

Problem with using standard prox cards is they are just a number -10 digit C&D, 26/32/35/37 Weigand. This can, but not always, cause a bit of a problem on some cashless systems in that they are set up for site codes so a change in the number format is a little more problematic.

i know mifare is prox but i have never used it.

but can i abandon the prox idea and just read the existing mag cards in?

Yes,

Bu you will have to tweak the format for the number. This has to be done for any non standard number on any system. Simple to do.

Many thanks Andy. So ill I need is an act controller and a mag reader?

Yep, that's all. Set it up on yer desk and have a quick play with card format and diagnostics (card interrogation). Job sorted.

Don't do anything silly like using the 1000,. Stick to the 2K/3K variants.

Archived