Security Installer Community

Avanti Xp Udl Etc

Guest Nick

Guest Nick

Evening Folks,

I've just finished the cable runs for my Avanti system (DIY install) and was wondering if it really is worth running a phone line extension for the UDL stuff. Does anyone use it and is it really that useful?

The avanti manual is pretty **** and doesn't really make clear the benifits etc.

Also - Am thinking of a seperate GSM Dialler - Would I simply take another output to the bell box to use as the input to the GSM Dialler?

cheers guys,

Nick

its mainly for alarm co's for rmeote diagnosis etc.

However the new breed of panels that allow remote conrtrol etc via webpages i think will be popular.

Id also question the gsm dialler. If security is important dont trust it to a dialler IMHO. A monitored path will cost the sameish.

But to answer your question ,yes run a phone line then you can decide to use it or not. If you dont then you have no options.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Guest RJBsec

UDL wouldn't really benefit you that much and connecting the Avanti to a phone line can create problems. It's not really designed to be used with external signalling equipment, it doesn't have the outputs - best option is as you say, use the bell trigger to trigger the GSM unit but it's a poor option. There are more suitable panels to use.

Guest Nick

Thanks for the quick updates guys. RJB - What sort of problems are created by connecting the Avanti to a phone line?

Also I'd prefer the GSM Dialler option as I'm after on with outputs so i can turn stuff on and off (2 way)

Is there a better way of triggering the GSM unit, the bell trigger is the most obvious to me?

cheers,

Nick

Guest RJBsec

We have had to remove almost all of the small number we fitted due to them, amongst other things, randomly holding the telephone line open - a particularly irritating problem.

To properly trigger an external dialler you need dedicated outputs from the panel, e.g. for PA, Intruder, Fire etc and the Avanti XP doesn't have these - I think they may have been going to bring out a panel with outputs but I've never seen or used one.

There are many small DIY panels that are available with such outputs, which would better suit your needs.

We have had to remove almost all of the small number we fitted due to them, amongst other things, randomly holding the telephone line open - a particularly irritating problem.

To properly trigger an external dialler you need dedicated outputs from the panel, e.g. for PA, Intruder, Fire etc and the Avanti XP doesn't have these - I think they may have been going to bring out a panel with outputs but I've never seen or used one.

There are many small DIY panels that are available with such outputs, which would better suit your needs.

+1 on that. You really ahould be using a dedicated TX o/p to trigger a dialler.

Archived