Security Installer Community

Castle Euro 44 Id Fault

i was once told that the best way to fix id issues on a castle panel is to pull it out and put something else in.

its a 2002 install, unfortunately it seemed to be a 'fashion' to fit id systems a few years ago... we stick to EOL on new installs and upgrade to EOL where possible, i've already suggested as such, but customers just can't afford it really.... we tend not to have to many id problems, nothing much over the odd staple and water in flush door mrc's...but this site really is a pain in the backside, last time my colleage was there, he removed about 4 capacitors from devices!!, which he found were causing a problem with the id tester.... we were always told mid-point on the line was where you put the capacitor if you needed it... site is just to big really to look at each cable individually, false ceilings far to high aswell, i'll have to do what i can... no mixed biscuits, we get conflicting advice on whether the euro 44 can use black biscuits anyway... i truly do not like id!!!

....oh its an ACT id line filter

although it could be a short, i would'nt have thought it was, as its only affecting 3 circuits, and the circuits after the problem circuits seem to be ok...

i was once told that the best way to fix id issues on a castle panel is to pull it out and put something else in.

lol!

but he also favoured a hammer over a screwdriver - as a chisel? whistle.gif

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

can't help with castle as i don't know its report vocabulary and how it reports on iD kit

on Ultimtes (or Karizma with one Line) you would get a log report of lIne 1 or 2 short then all iD's in tamper (lost due to the short), having lost all iDs would make me look for an intermittent short.

if no short report but some tamper/s then a cable connection issue.

i would advise iD is really fussy about good clean and fast connections, you can't allow any chance or intermittent faults or leakage earth on the bus pair. size of site i have had several massive sites on it, cables in ducts and risers and no problems.

you need to get a mental vision where each device is on the cables, and any junction boxes. then by process of ilimination between the 'working' and non working iDs see whats left. then a matter of going between the known last working and the next tampered iD on that cable.

you might not agree, but imo once you get into it and past the suspicion/fear of iD technology, i find it is far easier and quicker to fault find than either EOL or conventional gear - it usually tells you where it is, just need to get to understand the signs given to you properly.

Arfur

im deadly serious.

I have seen many iD problems disappear on other panels. A simple panel change in these cases sorted it.

AFAIK you can use the plus biscuits on a 44 but you will need to tweak the mid voltage. You want to be getting 6.5 at the closest device.

id suggest the caps are causing you issues and id pull them out. Unless there is a cable issue then i wouldnt have them there in the first place. iD uses square wave dc pulses so too much capacitance rounds this off and can cause biscuits to misread address's.

If its walways those biscuits my first attempt would be to wire them straight in at the panel and see if the fault clears. If it does i would then put them back on the line but without detection. You may for instance have a detector problem. SOme napco sensors have filtering between the alarm and tamper pair that cause havoc with id. Could also be a faulty or failing detector.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

ahhh. seemed to have rectified the problem... replaced id filter (from murata type to act type). Replaced biscuit 16 also, I dissed individual biscuits and checked with panel diagnostics on iD mA values... they originally would jump erratically between 12mA and 18mA and then down to 00mA on biscuit 19.. now much more stable after changing biscuit and remaking a dodgy connection on an smrc at biscuit 21( only 1 strand connected on blue wire to screw terminal!) unfortunately, this site is not exactly daisy chained, more spider web.... difficult to see where and what oder cable is actually run.... but I await a call to return to site...fell off my ladder aswell :/

im deadly serious.

I have seen many iD problems disappear on other panels. A simple panel change in these cases sorted it.

AFAIK you can use the plus biscuits on a 44 but you will need to tweak the mid voltage. You want to be getting 6.5 at the closest device.

id suggest the caps are causing you issues and id pull them out. Unless there is a cable issue then i wouldnt have them there in the first place. iD uses square wave dc pulses so too much capacitance rounds this off and can cause biscuits to misread address's.

If its walways those biscuits my first attempt would be to wire them straight in at the panel and see if the fault clears. If it does i would then put them back on the line but without detection. You may for instance have a detector problem. SOme napco sensors have filtering between the alarm and tamper pair that cause havoc with id. Could also be a faulty or failing detector.

i've never used iD filters or caps, but then i've never used tex or gal panels either whistle.gif

Arfur

Archived