Security Installer Community

Wiring A Panic Button - But Only Two Wires

Hi all, having almost done my home alarm install, i've just got round to a panic button and found i should have laid another wire in for it!!! I have TWO wires spare but i believe it needs 4 wires (two for alarm, two for tamper)...!

The system is FSL wired... Is there a simple way i can connect this PA button into the system but only using two wires?

Or will i need to lay in another wire that can give me four connections?

I have a few ideas up my sleeve for this but wondered if anyone knows of a simple way i can get round this prob!

Thanx.

As above you only need two wires if using FSL.

One resistor "shunt resistor" is connected across the alarm contacts one end of the "end of line" resistor is connected to one of the alarm contacts, the other end of the "end of line" resitor is connected to one of your wires.

Your remaing wire connects to the other alarm contact (the one with only one resistor wire connected.

Who said a picture paints a thousand words? Give him a medal!

• 1 year later...

two wires will do....if you cut the cable or take the cover off, it will go into alarm anyway...provided you're not worried about the new regulations of course

Every day is a school day

As above, only two wires needed for FSL wiring method. If you haven't got the resistors, can't get any more or would find it easier not to use them, then you could wire in the alarm pair only, and fit a short link wire across the tamper terminals in the panel; this circuit would not be monitored, but for domestic purposes where the alarm is not monitored, this may not be important to you.

Archived