Security Installer Community

Ds2 Hard Drive - Adding Slave Drive

emsgeorge

We have a client with a DS2 - the hard drive seems semi screwed on it - its an 80gb version, yet the software only shows a total of 13gb avaiable for recording (and yes, ive checked the protected bit).

I found the unit on its side, and it had been operated like this for a few months - they thought it would be 'space saving'. I always thought drives didnt like being on their side.

The software seems to be ok, the system boots and records as it should. The only thing is the amount of 'space' it has - im assuming the position its been in has created a lot of bad sectors.

Can I add a slave drive onto the system without having to get one form norbain etc ?. Does it need any special formatting / software to be a slave, or will 'any old drive' do, as long as its a certain format ?

Any help apprecated

George

unless you have had the course i dont think you can chnage a drive yourself it will have to go back. ALso AFAIK a drive can be used any way up, however it may have affected the cooling and the drive simply overheated

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

It may be worth rebuilding the image control file, carry out a shutdown except when it says to hold down number 1 button you hold down another (2,3 or 5, can't remember, maybe someone else can confirm) and the machine will reboot and come up with a message that it is rebuilding the file

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

We have a client with a DS2 - the hard drive seems semi screwed on it - its an 80gb version, yet the software only shows a total of 13gb avaiable for recording (and yes, ive checked the protected bit).

I found the unit on its side, and it had been operated like this for a few months - they thought it would be 'space saving'. I always thought drives didnt like being on their side.

The software seems to be ok, the system boots and records as it should. The only thing is the amount of 'space' it has - im assuming the position its been in has created a lot of bad sectors.

Can I add a slave drive onto the system without having to get one form norbain etc ?. Does it need any special formatting / software to be a slave, or will 'any old drive' do, as long as its a certain format ?

Any help apprecated

George

You can do this yourself.

Adding a slave is easy aslong as the right leads are in the machine.

PM me.

Thanks for the replies everyone - wil try the image file thingy first, if not, its off to buy another drive. And having spoken to DM, the cost for them to put in another drive is silly - considering the unit is out of warranty, and i'm more than capable of opening up the lid and slotting another one in.

Camilluns - will pm you shortly, thanks for the advice.

I cant PM yet - I dont have permission !. Anyone able to help me with this issue.

And I cant seem to get the 'image control file' rebuild to run, all I manage to do is halt the bootloader. Typically, im working late, and its a bank hol weekend.

If the hard drive is screwed, then adding a slave wont work as the main drive is shot.

If the main drive is working fine then adding a slave is possible, but IMO not when the main system drive has failed.

Having had a chat with the boss, I think you are right - although the current drive seems to of lost a lot of its image part of the drive, the boot bit is totally fine. From reading DM's site, its a very early model ds2, and the boot is on the hard drive - so it will only be a matter of time until the rest of it is screwed (and I dont want to be back at site soon !), so there is little long term gsain from adding another drive as just video storage.

Not having sent anything 'out of warranty' back to DS, does anyone have any experience of them ?. I see some guy selling new drives on ebay - might see how much ds want to do a swap, otherside, its to the ebay bloke !.

we always send our dm's back for repair, they will test it fully and repeair what they find etc. Always been very good to us. Not cheap but then it is a top end machine and even your very old one (8 yr old?) will give new machines a run for their money.

Any help apprecated

George

I have changed drives before with no problems. Just use good IDE's.

But don't go OTT with the size. If I remember there is a limit.

The fans may need replacing (RS) as they do pack up and so the drives overheat.

Archived