Security Installer Community

Dailler Phone Connection

dogzb

Instructions I have seen for connecting diallers to a phone line all seem to all indicate use of a master phone socket.

I have older style phone wiring with the first thing in on the line being a connector box which then star connects to a (relatively old) single master socket in the living room and a further extension slave socket for broadband. The bell wire is only connected in the master socket back to the connector block (no bell wire to the slave). Each socket has external filters for ASDL. This as I understand this is correct, only one master socket in the network.

Is there any good reason why I should not just add a slave/extension socket for the alarm and leave the master socket in the living room alone? Or should I switch it all around? Or can I have two master sockets on the star (doubles the bell wire capacitance I think so maybe not such a good idea)?

Instructions I have seen for connecting diallers to a phone line all seem to all indicate use of a master phone socket.

I have older style phone wiring with the first thing in on the line being a connector box which then star connects to a (relatively old) single master socket in the living room and a further extension slave socket for broadband. The bell wire is only connected in the master socket back to the connector block (no bell wire to the slave). Each socket has external filters for ASDL. This as I understand this is correct, only one master socket in the network.

Is there any good reason why I should not just add a slave/extension socket for the alarm and leave the master socket in the living room alone? Or should I switch it all around? Or can I have two master sockets on the star (doubles the bell wire capacitance I think so maybe not such a good idea)?

Most diallers have a line in and a line out connection in them. The idea is you connect the line from the master socket into the dialler first then out of the dialler on to the slaves.

By doing it this way when the dialler is triggered it will "grab the line" and dial out regardless of what state the extensions are in.

If you wire it to a slave it will work but if an extension gets knocked off the hook or the line is in use by another device (PC modem, fax machine, answerphone for eg) the dialler will not be able to dial out.

In short it will work either way but following the instructions will make it more secure.

Most diallers have a line in and a line out connection in them. The idea is you connect the line from the master socket into the dialler first then out of the dialler on to the slaves.

By doing it this way when the dialler is triggered it will "grab the line" and dial out regardless of what state the extensions are in.

If you wire it to a slave it will work but if an extension gets knocked off the hook or the line is in use by another device (PC modem, fax machine, answerphone for eg) the dialler will not be able to dial out.

In short it will work either way but following the instructions will make it more secure.

And of course filtering the line before the dialler is required. This will mean altering your cabling slightly to provide an unfiltered line to your ADSL modem/router, usually presented using an RJ11 socket. You can use spare pairs in the telephone cable if you have 3 pair installed.

I will draw a picky later maybe.

Rough Picky!

Notice the RJ11 socket on the left for the ADSL router/modem.

Notice the blank NTE5b used (no socket on the lower removeable half).

post-2628-1240236226_thumb.jpg

Email : martin@askthetrades.co.uk

Thanks to you both for pointing me in the right direction - a great help!

I can see how this would stop eqipment on the extensions hogging the line, I'd assume you'd want to avoid having anything plugged into the master socket too, upstream of the dialler as it were.

One of the things that was confusing me was having block terminal at the BT cable entry with the master socket being on the star just about as far from the point of entry to the house you can get.

I think I'll start by connecting the dialler to a simple extension and then consider rewiring the phones as you indicated ... maybe fit a filtered NTE5 next to the block terminal and then chain off from that to the dialler first.

Can one of you kind gents point me in the direction of a good supplier of these NTE5b plates. I can remember viewing a posting not too long ago with a link to a supplier of all different sorts of plates - but can I find it??

Thanks

Can one of you kind gents point me in the direction of a good supplier of these NTE5b plates. I can remember viewing a posting not too long ago with a link to a supplier of all different sorts of plates - but can I find it??

Thanks

I got my last lot (just the lower half) from ebay - I got 20 for a tenner I recall. I have always struggled to get them from anywhere in the past, but will be due to get some more soon!

The thread you talk of did have a link, but is was not to a shop, just to a site with info on telecoms NTE ranges and wall plates etc.

Email : martin@askthetrades.co.uk

This doesn't seem to be the case for external voice diallers from what I've been able to find out from the minimal installation (or even features) data (!!!) on these products ... they typically connect in parallel with the phone.

From the (excellent) Texecom manual :

"The Speech Dialler ....... (is) connected to a standard telephone line and behaves like another

extension to the telephone and does not affect its normal operation or that of any other extension fitted." And it's diagram clearly shows this.

Telecom connection of a speech dialler for security has to be a key feature, I don't understand why it isn't clearly stated in the product features list i.e. "line seizure support" and not (where at all) down in the (often non-existent) documentation.

Honeywell ADE Informa, Menvier SD1+ (SD2 looks similar), Texecom and Risco Gardtec speech diallers don't seem to support this.

The JGD unit has line and phone connections but whether this is just feed through or supports line seize is not clear - and it uses 9V batteries for backup so not my choice anyway.

The Pyronix Vocaliser supports it .... but only on the relayed version, and it's not clear how to identify the relayed version.

I've ordered a Gardtec Eurosec CPX panel, I'm hoping that as part of a dedicated security panel it's speech dialler will support this.

Archived