Security Installer Community

Grade 2 / Grade 3 Door Contacts

Alex

Hello,

what would you say are the best Grade 2 (and grade 3) door contacts (flush/surface)? I've replaced some surface grade 3 ones recently due to false alarms with grade 2 (were grade 2 systems furtunately) . Haven't had any problems since. Have you had any probs with grade 3 contacts?

cheers,

Alex

cheers,

Alex

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lots of discussion on the trade side about this but yes there have been issues for some brands.

We use elmdene and dont have any issues apart from roller doors.

tbh i think the contact has had its day.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Guest old-hand
lots of discussion on the trade side about this but yes there have been issues for some brands.

We use elmdene and dont have any issues apart from roller doors.

~Pir`s on entry exit??????

This is a theory I almost ....just almost......commented on in another thread this weekend - forget which one right now, as Mr Carlsberg's memories are still foremost in my mind at this moment......

However, I am in agreement with you on this totally. I do believe it is time we came up with alternatives for the "humble" door contact.

A replacement would be difficult, though - what is more simple in principle than a contact, yet offers as much flexibility? Flush contacts are susceptible to water ingress, whilst surface contacts are vulnerable to damage from impact. Both are vulnerable to magnet issues, such as theft of the magnet, or even just alignment - something that beams also suffer from.

Space detection is not a viable replacement for contacts, as someone suggests, tongue in cheek - and ideally the replcaement device would also be as solid state as possible - no moving parts - and as impervious to all the faults of today's detection as possible. Of course, nailing the sub's doors shut isn't really an answer either, much as it would solve their problem.

The other thing with this is that a door contact actually only helps if someone is kind enough to put the whole door in. If they merely remove panels within the door, the contact may not break circuit at all.

Yet, for all this said, I am struggling at this point to imagine an alternative - and am inclined to think that perhaps what we really want is a "better" contact, which doesn not suffer the probelms of the current crop.

Bill.

Bill

Accord Fire & Security Services Ltd.

www.accordfire.co.uk ~ TEL: 0845 474 5839

did you swap contact and magnets? as these are matched sets on grade 3 and exsisting mags wont cut it

also got good g2 contacts on doors and windows 6 zones all ground floor external windows + doors no problems, also if someone dose go trough door panle's then wont couse entry and couse alarm on pir so :)

Bill

Im thinking something along the lines of a small tag reader. This would then detect the presence of the allowed tag, and would ignore illigal tags. Maybe afetr 10 incorrect tags were detected it could record a mask attempt etc.

Read range would be quite large, waterproof etc. BUt expensive to manufacture.

However i have said this before about 4 yrs ago, and i reakon the reed and magnet will be with us for some time yet.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

maybe need two nails in the frame and metal strip on door, door closes metal strip connects the two nails, there you go contact of the future if anyone interested patent pending, lol

Must admit I'm not familiar with the problems that people seem to be experiencing with contacts but in my experience they are the most reliable for of protection there is.

It is true that it is possible to get through a door without opening it but if it's a final exit door and the area is also covered with a PIR it's not a problem.

I really don't get this "contacts have had their day" argument at all, what better way of protecting an opening door or window than a simple reliable non electronic detector? (backed up with trap protection/SID where needed)

contacts are the only way to go or lock with switch contact in it, but no problems with any contacts here only old ones lol

Archived