Security Installer Community

mul-t-lock

Guest janee

Guest janee

I have a Mul-T-Lock on my front door.

The problem is, you can open it from the inside without a key, even though it maybe locked on the outside.

What I would like to do, is to change this lock with one which I can lock when I go out, and which will not be able to be unlocked from the inside, only with a key.

At the moment, I can go out, but if anyone got in through the back or another point of entry, they could easily open my front door and cart out all they want from my flat :o

The door and lock were installed by the council, I am a tenant. I'm finding it really hard to find out where I could buy a replacement lock that needs to be key operated from both sides.

My husband is very good at fitting locks and all manner of jobs around the house, we've got the right tools etc, so we could easily fit it ourselves. All we need is the lock we want from whoever sells them.

Any ideas on this problem?

janee

Does the door have a glass panel if it does then it needs to be changed, because it is a security risk. If its a solid door then generally it deemed acceptable to fit a cylinder with a Knob Turn.

I would speak to the council, because some councils will not allow you to change locks without there consent, keys will only be available from them and as Pete said you will need a letter to get them cut.

Also the councils policy on door locks may also take into account, what would happen if there was a fire. ie if the house was full of smoke then could you find the keys for the door, most likely not. so the knob turn is fitted so that you dont need to.

Generally councils will air on the side of caution and go down the health and safety road rather than securing the property.

Colin.

Guest janee

These issues were raised with the council when the Mul-T-Secure doors and locks were first installed, and yes, it is for health and safety reasons.

This situation is fine, as long as you are indoors, but it's going out which is the worry because the door can always be opened from the inside.

The door is solid, no windows, and has a metal frame. The lock operates bolts into the top and bottom of the frame too.

We thought about fitting an additional mortice lock into the door, for when we are out, but it's quite hard to find a place to fit it, because of the complicated locking system.

Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent door, very strong and impact resistant. But if burglars got in round the back for example, they've got an easy exit throught the front door.

I'll have a word with my husband to see if it is feasible to fit an additional mortise lock - as this might be the cheapest and most straightforward solution. We will be moving out into a new build property which is "Secure By Design", but doesn't have the Mul-T-Secure door. So, we're just looking for something to increase our security in the short term, until we move out. If it was possible to fit an additional lock, we would only lock it when we were not in.

janee

Archived