Security Installer Community

Zoom lens

housty

Hi all

A customer want's a static camera looking at his property with a zoom lens so he can zoom into cars waiting at his barrier. I know i have to run power to it (240v) and also RG59 but what sort of cable do i use to control his zoom??Is there any other way of doing it??

He has an exsisting telemetry system would i be able to tap into it for control of the zoom??

housty

Houston Security Systems Ltd

Intruder alarms

CCTV

Door entry

Fire protection

Networking

SSAIB Approved

Firstly, you would need a suitable data transmission cable in order to send telemetry to the camera or lens from the controller. 'Up the Coax' is easiest where the signal is encoded, sent down the same coax as the picture, and decoded at the camera. Twisted Pair telemetry is the better for longer distances but would require the camera/lens to be addressed by a unique identity different to other units on the system, in order that the equipment recieves the correct instructions meant for it.

Secondly, theres many different types of telemetry protocol. Is the manufacturer the same for all the CCTV units on the system? camera, controller ect... You cannot mix equipment from different manufacturers unless the product supports the telemetry protocol in use. In a similar way that you cannot use a PC game on a Amiga 1200.

Somehow, I sense you thought you could just splice into the existing system with realative ease.

Tony

ACE.gif

Hi all

So it would be easier if i gave him a separate controler just for his zoom??

Also would i need twisted pair cable (screened or unscreened??) with a transmitter at the lense and a recieiver at the controler and RG59 for video back to the multiplexer?? :(

Intruder alarms

CCTV

Door entry

Fire protection

Networking

SSAIB Approved

"Up the Coax' is easiest where the signal is encoded, sent down the same coax as the picture, and decoded at the camera."

How is it done??

"you'll need focus capabilities otherwise your pics will blur as you run the zoom"

Would the lense need auto focus??

Intruder alarms

CCTV

Door entry

Fire protection

Networking

SSAIB Approved

• 3 weeks later...
Guest stevevtec

Hi guys

The simple solution with this is to run an alarm cable along the same route as the coax and drive the lens using a couple of dpdc spring return switches, a 12v (or less) psu.

Also if the lens is of a reasonable quality and the backfocus (or racking) is set correctly then the focus shouldn't need adjustment.

Steve :fyi:

Guest cctvman

As steve says an alarm cable.

12volt lens

ie red/black for zoom 12+ red 12v- black applied for zoom in

red/black for zoom 12 - red 12v- black applied for zoom out

the same for focus

Use a two pole switch or relay if you have any problems i can send you a drawing

Regards

Cctvman ;)

Archived