Security Installer Community

Computer Controling My Dvr By Rs485 Port?

madkad

Hi

looking throught my Xvision TDVR4 manual I see I can control it by my computer through the RS485 Port on the back, but it doesnt seem to tell me any more infomation about it, I see also that there is only a + and _ for the RS485 port ther looks like the rest next to them are for the alarm settings.

Can any one help me on what I need to be able to do this, can I do it via USB or is it something else?

Thanks

Hi

looking throught my Xvision TDVR4 manual I see I can control it by my computer through the RS485 Port on the back, but it doesnt seem to tell me any more infomation about it, I see also that there is only a + and _ for the RS485 port ther looks like the rest next to them are for the alarm settings.

Can any one help me on what I need to be able to do this, can I do it via USB or is it something else?

Thanks

Your PC would be RS232, RS 485 is different, don't connect them!

:rolleyes:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

could I not use a RS232 to RS485 converter? or a USB to RS485 converter?

but even if I could there isnt a socket in the back of my DVR there seems to be only a section like the alarm section saying RS485 with - and + sockets so how would it work?

any one?

I know I ask alot of questions sorry

Yes use the LAN connection, the DVR will have it's own URL which normally allows download of the viewer software, it may have to be downloaded from the web...you can then view the DVR remotely if the DVR can do it.

Cable, try a standard cat 5 patch cable as I have been told on this board that most LAN devices will now talk to each other on a standard cable, however a 'crossover' cable would be my choice, or just get a router?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Amateur Radio Forum

if those ports are indded for remote control (and not camera control) then yes a 232 - 485 converter will work from a hardware point of view. But you will need the protocol or some software to send the commands

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Hi

Thanks

Ay up Madkad,

Please don't take this the wrong way but, I just wonder if you've the right end of the stick whilst reading the manual. I'd only expect to connect a DVR these days to a PC using Ethernet. PC to PC should be crossover, unless you've auto-sensing port on your PC. I'd only expect to use the RS485 port on a DVR to send telemetry.

If indeed I'm wrong, you'll need as Redbull says, a configurable protocol converter such as the KK, together with protocol driven software application on your PC.

I went up into the attic...I found a Stradavarius & a Picasso. Unfortunately.....

Stradavarius couldn't paint, and Picasso made a shocking fiddle.

My Facebook page...http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=1279556853&ref=name

Ay up Madkad,

Please don't take this the wrong way but, I just wonder if you've the right end of the stick whilst reading the manual. I'd only expect to connect a DVR these days to a PC using Ethernet. PC to PC should be crossover, unless you've auto-sensing port on your PC. I'd only expect to use the RS485 port on a DVR to send telemetry.

If indeed I'm wrong, you'll need as Redbull says, a configurable protocol converter such as the KK, together with protocol driven software application on your PC.

Hi, well at the start I was going to use the port idea as i dont have a remote for my system, but then I found out about the lan and started thinking if I can just use my software to do the same stuff I would have done with the port, but more like backup stuff so the lan idea would be better.

I have tried putting a lan cable in and to my pc but my pc doesnt seem to want to conect :(

if any one here knows much about doing this i would be very greatfull on some tips in some way

:unsure:

thanks

Hi, well at the start I was going to use the port idea as i dont have a remote for my system, but then I found out about the lan and started thinking if I can just use my software to do the same stuff I would have done with the port, but more like backup stuff so the lan idea would be better.

I have tried putting a lan cable in and to my pc but my pc doesnt seem to want to conect :(

if any one here knows much about doing this i would be very greatfull on some tips in some way

:unsure:

thanks

Next try a LAN crossover cable, Maplins sell them.

Do a web search for the instructions and software, you will need to know the URL of the DVR (It's IP number) which should be standard.

My Amateur Radio Forum

Archived