Security Installer Community

Looking For A New Alarm

Thanks guys - I guess the issue for me is really one of cost (especially at this time of year!).

I'm looking for the least expensive option - if I call an engineer out, I'ver got call-out charges, then a per hour charge while he diagnoses plus parts plus VAT and installation. I'd imagine that could be fairly pricey on a Galaxy?

For less than the same money I could buy a new Texecom system by the sounds of it and fit it myself. I should say before I decide I'm going to get some quotes for repair and replace, at least then I'll know where I am cost-wise and can make an informed decision :)

Just to clarify my symptoms:

1. Had a low battery fault about 8 months ago and replaced the battery.

2. In September we were woken up by the keypad sirens going off, pressing "esc" silenced it the first two times, leaving asterisks on the keypads screens (I understand this can be a "bad data line" error. The third time nothing would stop it, so I went in the loft, pulled all the power (setting off the external siren). When I put the power back on it was working fine.

3. Until Christmas Eve :) Same fault as in 2 above, however this time, pulling the power and reconnecting didn't make any differennce, so had to pull the keypads off the walls and all went quiet (bearing in mind this trashed our Christmas Eve plans so I was most dis-chuffed!).

4. About 24 hours later, having been quiet all Christmas Day, the external siren went off - pulling the power in the loft silenced it, and it's been quiet ever since.

It would seem (to me) that a PCB fault could be the cause, because we'd had differing faults across a period (battery low, keypads, external siren suddenly going off after 24 hours of silence).

On the other hand it could be a PSU fault that had affected the charging circuit (not sure exactly why this would give the "bad data line" error on the pads though?).

So I guess you can see why I've got a few suspect parts, I agree someone used to seeing these things day in and out would probably identify relatively easily, based on their experience, it's just a question of how much it costs me in total, as I say! Plus, I'd need to be convinced that they won't do what I'd do and just swap a part out, try it, then swap another as I don't need to pay someone to screw stuff in and connect a couple of wires :)

Replacing a Galaxy with a Veritas R8 Plus is not an upgrade... its a downgrade.

Lets say its a problem with the keypad cable causing data loss, dont you think that the fault will still be there when you have fitted your Veritas R8 Plus?

Lets say its a problem with the keypad cable causing data loss, dont you think that the fault will still be there when you have fitted your Veritas R8 Plus?

QFA

OP, if you get someone who just swaps part after part with no testing of the cable ect then you should report them to their approval body. 9/10 domestic faults i have ever been out to were cable or battery issues, sometimes a cheap part. 1/10 at the most were down to the control panel.

Yep, I was planning to check the cables before embarking on a replacement - but as all the cables are separate to each keypad and each keypad has failed simultaneously, it seems more likely the cause is somewhere central (we don't have mice that have gone through each cable for example), apologies if I didn't make it clear we have two keypads...

Thanks for that info alterEgo - it's always useful to know how often these bits go relative to each other, even if only to assess whether an installer is fiddling things.

I agree that I could report them, and would of course, but I'd still be out of pocket in the meantime, unless the approval bodies reimburse poor workmanship?

Yep, I was planning to check the cables before embarking on a replacement - but as all the cables are separate to each keypad and each keypad has failed simultaneously, it seems more likely the cause is somewhere central (we don't have mice that have gone through each cable for example), apologies if I didn't make it clear we have two keypads...

Thanks for that info alterEgo - it's always useful to know how often these bits go relative to each other, even if only to assess whether an installer is fiddling things.

I agree that I could report them, and would of course, but I'd still be out of pocket in the meantime, unless the approval bodies reimburse poor workmanship?

Do check the cables, I am not familiar with more modern Galaxy panels but nearly every panel I have ever worked on has a common data bus and a short on one cable will impact on any device connected to the network.

Archived