Security Installer Community

Mains Power From Attic To Bell Box ?

jonoo

Anyone offer me any advice on the following ??- want to feed mains power from the attic area down and out into the rear off the bell box, just wonder if anyone can offer some tips on the easiest way to achive this ?? is there normally easy access to the inner wall area from the attic ?? bell box is located about a couple off feet from the gutter level off the house and feel this would probably be the easier way off getting power out rather than cutting a channel in the inner wall off the house and then having to replaster once the cable is in place.

house is on a newer estate probably around five years old.

any tips from the experts on just how you guys go about this ??

cheers

Anyone offer me any advice on the following ??- want to feed mains power from the attic area down and out into the rear off the bell box, just wonder if anyone can offer some tips on the easiest way to achive this ?? is there normally easy access to the inner wall area from the attic ?? bell box is located about a couple off feet from the gutter level off the house and feel this would probably be the easier way off getting power out rather than cutting a channel in the inner wall off the house and then having to replaster once the cable is in place.

house is on a newer estate probably around five years old.

any tips from the experts on just how you guys go about this ??

cheers

Cant see why you would want to in the forst place.

Best tip.............find an Electrician !

Why would you want mains voltage in a housing designed for low voltage?

Okay mate thanks for your quick reply, okay to be honest I only want 12volt but am going to bring down the voltage with an adapter, long story but dont worry about it !!

so again all I want to know how you guys normally get the power down from the attic into the rear off the bell box ?? is there normally easy access from the attic into the inner wall enough to feed a cable down and out ??

Easy if you've got a meter bit and a decent SDS, which I suspect you may not?

Forgett it !!

strange was given a link to this site but advised to watch as there was a few within that were not the most helpful . guess they were correct.

We are helpful but as consecensious people we were curious as to why you would need mains voltages down to a piece of equippment that is designed for 12v - please don,t get sarky just because we don,t answer you with a straightforward answer when the question is not straight forward in the first place!!

The simple answer to your question is we use the expertise we have accrued over the yeras to plan a route for the cable taht is dependent on the house layout - either up into roof space and into the roof gutter then fish wire out or drill from outside to roof space or drill from outside to cupboard in bedroom - the permutations are endless.

just remember mains 240v is dangerous and we don,t encourage DIY'ers to mess with it.

good luck

p

THE BLACK KNIGHT

"Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company."

Forgett it !!

strange was given a link to this site but advised to watch as there was a few within that were not the most helpful . guess they were correct.

I think you'll find I have been more than helpful all the time I have been here.

Have you got an SDS or not?

You can't expect to be able to do the job if you don't have the correct tools to do it can you?

Trade Member

Okay mate thanks for your quick reply, okay to be honest I only want 12volt but am going to bring down the voltage with an adapter, long story but dont worry about it !!

so again all I want to know how you guys normally get the power down from the attic into the rear off the bell box ?? is there normally easy access from the attic into the inner wall enough to feed a cable down and out ??

How would we know what YOUR attic/loft is like??

You are asking a question that can't be aswered accurately from the information provided. And as you only provided limited info about the supply why get an attitude?

Sorry mate possibly just over reacted and for that I appoligiese, to be honest thou from the short time I have been on these forums I have yet to see the real benefits off the site, I appreciatte yous guys are the professionals and that you must get a bit peeded off with so many questions on what is probably silly questions to you guys but please do bear in mind that we choose the DIY forum for the very fact that we are not professionals and as such are simply asking for advice. to receive replies such as "" get an electrician "" is not exactly very encoraging is it ??!!

same with yourself mate. SDS - what is this ??!! remember again this means nothing to me, am simply asking regards getting power to the box nothing more, nothing less

okay so will ask it a different way ??!! how are most alarm bell boxes powered and how does the power get to the box ??

How would we know what YOUR attic/loft is like??

You are asking a question that can't be aswered accurately from the information provided. And as you only provided limited info about the supply why get an attitude?

Seems I was posting out a reply whilst you posted yours mate so here goes, yep correct fair enough you dont know what my attic is like, I will ask generally then in new build houses is there likely to be easy access from attic to the inner wall enough to pass a cable thru ??

again no attitude mate appreciatte that it is up to you guys if you answer a question or not just get a bit fed up with certain attitudes on here which again have been picked up and commented on by a few others but again a total novice here and am simply asking regards getting power to bell box - generally is power supplied via a cable via the attic or do you normally channel into te exterior wall ??

Sorry mate possibly just over reacted and for that I appoligiese, to be honest thou from the short time I have been on these forums I have yet to see the real benefits off the site, I appreciatte yous guys are the professionals and that you must get a bit peeded off with so many questions on what is probably silly questions to you guys but please do bear in mind that we choose the DIY forum for the very fact that we are not professionals and as such are simply asking for advice. to receive replies such as "" get an electrician "" is not exactly very encoraging is it ??!!

same with yourself mate. SDS - what is this ??!! remember again this means nothing to me, am simply asking regards getting power to the box nothing more, nothing less

okay so will ask it a different way ??!! how are most alarm bell boxes powered and how does the power get to the box ??

Archived