Security Installer Community

Bit Of Help Required :)

can i just say -:

Ravi i'm not a fire alarm engineer by trade but i have dabled in the past with gents fire alarm kit, there are other addresable panels out there with far easier access for your experimentation than the Gents systems, i'd hope one of our members with some old but working kit would offer it to you for your project.

Guys - Ravi seems to me to be a very bright, repectful and resourceful 13 year old with a heck of a lot of common sense way beyond his years, i for one take my hat off to him for his application and endevour, a rare quality of attitude in this young man who imo should recieve our compliments and our full encouragement surely? as how many apprentacise's let alone traineee's would have the savvy let alone to source their own test kit from their own funds for a training project let alone a 13 year old school pupil?

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Thankyou for your ecouragement! its made me feel a bit better than me feeling like a complete wierdo.

I am pretty sure I wont set the school on fire and break my feet! My teacher is going to wire up the mains to a plug and that is going to be in a secure PSU which comes out of the wall and is safe for students to use mains voltrage to use the equipment in the science labs.

The panel and devices will be mounted on a demo board whihc is at schoo. the sensor sounders and wall sounders are set on 85db and the "audience" (classmates) will be sat about a couple of metres back. The schools alarms are GENT too and I have the same dcevices and they are set on turbo mode! I dont really know how I can ruin everyones hearing when im the one who will be controlling the system!

Lol!!! I'll try not to torch the school!!! the schools alarm seems to be in worser condition than my system! My panel and devices have no faults I thinl but the school has a system fault and a domain fault or something!

In my high school we have got a networked GENT vigilon system (BS version with 4 loops I think) and we have a LOT of false alarms because of people spraying sensor heads with deodorant and pressing callpoints etc... I have been doing a bit of research on GENT fire alarm systems and now know quite a lot on how to use it. I know how to soft address, set up zones, set up sectors, change detection modes, change sound patterns, change device labels, name zones and sectors, set up inputs and outputs, control a fire condition (fire alarm activation), find a fault and set up delays for different parts of the system.
Give the lad a break guys, if someone can help him how to default it pm him the details, I don't thnik he's going to blow the school up or set it to throw batteries at teachers in full alarm or anything, can you not remember what it was like to prat about with stuff as a kid, Rav if I could help I would mate, next time do one on alarms lol.... someone must be able to help the lad, he's 13 afterall (Rav if you burn the school down after all this I'm leaving the country!)
can i just say -:

Ravi i'm not a fire alarm engineer by trade but i have dabled in the past with gents fire alarm kit, there are other addresable panels out there with far easier access for your experimentation than the Gents systems, i'd hope one of our members with some old but working kit would offer it to you for your project.

Guys - Ravi seems to me to be a very bright, repectful and resourceful 13 year old with a heck of a lot of common sense way beyond his years, i for one take my hat off to him for his application and endevour, a rare quality of attitude in this young man who imo should recieve our compliments and our full encouragement surely? as how many apprentacise's let alone traineee's would have the savvy let alone to source their own test kit from their own funds for a training project let alone a 13 year old school pupil?

regs

alan

Thankyou for your ecouragement! its made me feel a bit better than me feeling like a complete wierdo.

I am pretty sure I wont set the school on fire and break my feet! My teacher is going to wire up the mains to a plug and that is going to be in a secure PSU which comes out of the wall and is safe for students to use mains voltrage to use the equipment in the science labs.

The panel and devices will be mounted on a demo board whihc is at schoo. the sensor sounders and wall sounders are set on 85db and the "audience" (classmates) will be sat about a couple of metres back. The schools alarms are GENT too and I have the same dcevices and they are set on turbo mode! I dont really know how I can ruin everyones hearing when im the one who will be controlling the system!

Lol!!! I'll try not to torch the school!!! the schools alarm seems to be in worser condition than my system! My panel and devices have no faults I thinl but the school has a system fault and a domain fault or something!

I would love to be able to help him out and point him in the right direction, but this site has rules for a reason, just because he says he's a 13 year old student we are supposed to believe him the information that he requires will re-initalize a NVM card which means the panel will lose all its config which is fine if its a test rig as the poster says but if it is a real system and he's not a 13 year old and he wipes out a complete system, were does that leave you??

I'm sorry if he is a 13year old student trying to do something at school but two much of his posts give out other ideas.

But if an engineer had posted this here he would have been given short thrift and told to get trade access.

I would love to be able to help him out and point him in the right direction, but this site has rules for a reason, just because he says he's a 13 year old student we are supposed to believe him the information that he requires will re-initalize a NVM card which means the panel will lose all its config which is fine if its a test rig as the poster says but if it is a real system and he's not a 13 year old and he wipes out a complete system, were does that leave you??

I'm sorry if he is a 13year old student trying to do something at school but two much of his posts give out other ideas.

But if an engineer had posted this here he would have been given short thrift and told to get trade access.

were you a hanging judge in a previous life?

he is not pretending to be an engineer so that surely is not relevant, and while properly exercising caution lets lets not be to harsh.

nobody has given this o/p any access codes or info that presents any compromise or danger that i can see, and he has already had explaned to him why that is in a thus far a freindly helpful way.

he has in return been polite and asked in a respectful way for some help, unfortunately which on this panel would be unwise so has been directed to other more lower end units.

so i can't see why anyone should want to such short thrift, just for asking what he see's as a simple few questions. he did not know the extent of knowledge needed to make it useable for his project when he bought it, so has asked questions, and tbh, and i think he might have a few problems with trade access being only 13, but we could check the rules.

i'd prefer to give him his due for finding this forum.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived