Security Installer Community

Bit Of Help Required :)

Hi everyone,

This may seem a bit wierd for a student to be leaving a post on the site. let me tell you a bit about my self, My name is Ravi first of all and I am 13. I am going to be doing a school project on fire safety at school (not my chosen topic by the way!). I was really struggling on how to make the presentation remotely interesting and then I thought to myself that I could maybe set up a mini fire alarm system.

In my high school we have got a networked GENT vigilon system (BS version with 4 loops I think) and we have a LOT of false alarms because of people spraying sensor heads with deodorant and pressing callpoints etc... I have been doing a bit of research on GENT fire alarm systems and now know quite a lot on how to use it. I know how to soft address, set up zones, set up sectors, change detection modes, change sound patterns, change device labels, name zones and sectors, set up inputs and outputs, control a fire condition (fire alarm activation), find a fault and set up delays for different parts of the system.

So I decided to set up a mini fire alarm system. I have recently bought a GENT vigilon compact control panel that came with an s4-911-st-vo (s-quad sensor sounder strobe speech), a wall sounder and a callpoint. I got the parcel about 2 days ago and was trying to get into the engineer mode to set the system up. I know that the panel allocates the loop when the loop IN is connected to the terminals. I tried that and it recognises the devices and on start up it says "card found at loop 1, no of devices on loop: 3 found" Then I tried activating the callpioint and it said alarm activation fault on the LCD do I spoke to gent and they said that I need to run a soft address. I dont have that password that allows you to get into the engineer mode, Can anyone help or maybe give me the password so I can first of all set up my OWN passcodes! and then take it from there.

I tried asking the users on another forum but they kept making fun of me and trying to make me feel like rubbish so I gave up and closed my account. I would really appreciate if someone would be able to give me the daily password so I can addrss the stuff as I am half way on completion of the demo board! I just want the system to work! Also another question, does the s-quad sensor sounder hav the same warbling 2 tone sound as the 34770 sensor sounder as I would like to set it to that tone but any tone is fine.

Please try and help and dont make me feel like I am wierd like the pople on firenet.

Thankyou for your time :)

Ravi

Ravi first of all welcome to the forums.

My knowledge of gent is very limited as we dont work on it, but i thought you had to be a registered gent installer to get anywhere with it.

My advice is either give it back or relist it. Get something like a basic 2 zone combemtional panel and avoid the addressable stuff, no need for it IMO for your demo project.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Ravi first of all welcome to the forums.

My knowledge of gent is very limited as we dont work on it, but i thought you had to be a registered gent installer to get anywhere with it.

My advice is either give it back or relist it. Get something like a basic 2 zone combemtional panel and avoid the addressable stuff, no need for it IMO for your demo project.

Is that one of them new ones? :whistle:

Ravi, while your request may be valid, it could also be an attempt to open up a panel you shouldn't........we can't tell can we?

I suggest you look at Gents Website and find out who your local "SI" installer is, explain your project to them and see if they will help unlock your panel.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Ravi

We won't take the pi55 like they may have elsewhere but we also won't give you any engineering passwords, manuals or information that could compromise the integrity of a life saving fire alarm system for the reason luggsey says.

Buy an old 2-zone conventional panel and devices as james said.

C.

we can tell by the fact that no panels come out with preprogrammed passwords, passwords are only put in by the commissioning engineer.

I assumed it was a rip out not a new one?

Possibly one of the old Gent display boards. (I have one with a Vig on it!)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

well I can send you a few pictures of it via e-mail to prove it. My school control panels are always staff monitored.

mines a vigilon compact 24 with 1 loop. I have tried GENT ans they wont help.

When I contacted the previous owner he said it came with a piece of paper inside the operating manual with a passowrd for the panel but then the idiot lost the damn thing. JUST MY LUCK!!!!!!

well I can send you a few pictures of it via e-mail to prove it. My school control panels are always staff monitored.

mines a vigilon compact 24 with 1 loop. I have tried GENT ans they wont help.

When I contacted the previous owner he said it came with a piece of paper inside the operating manual with a passowrd for the panel but then the idiot lost the damn thing. JUST MY LUCK!!!!!!

Hello Ravi

Glad to see someone taking a keen interest in their school project even if it wasn`t by choice. The Gent panel you have is what we call a closed protocol system which means the manufacturer of the panel in this case is Gent and they don`t give out passwords and support unless you are registered with them. As someone else has pointed out to you we do not give out passwords especially on the public forum section for obvious reasons.

If the project is on Fire Safety maybe you would be better looking at the Fire safety in general rather than just using a fire panel. Maybe use a Fire Safety training video or power point.

I have a power point presentation somewhere and also a video that might help.

Pete

Peter Robinson

Freelance

M:07889038650

Hello Ravi

Glad to see someone taking a keen interest in their school project even if it wasn`t by choice. The Gent panel you have is what we call a closed protocol system which means the manufacturer of the panel in this case is Gent and they don`t give out passwords and support unless you are registered with them. As someone else has pointed out to you we do not give out passwords especially on the public forum section for obvious reasons.

If the project is on Fire Safety maybe you would be better looking at the Fire safety in general rather than just using a fire panel. Maybe use a Fire Safety training video or power point.

I have a power point presentation somewhere and also a video that might help.

Pete

Great idea see here - http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/fire/pdf/150865.pdf

C.

Archived