Security Installer Community

Intelligent Diagnostics

Guest Gimmick

If the control panel offered local calibrated diagnostics, would the installer use them as a Primary or Backup source of information?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. If the control panel offered local calibrated diagnostics, would the installer use them as a Primary or Backup source of information?

• If the equipment allowed calibration of the values, then always as a Primary source.
    • Only as a Backup after physically measuring the values with a meter.
    • Never use the local diagnostics because they are pointless.
    • Don't use control panels that have diagnostic measurements.

Guest Gimmick

It is a cheeky poll to put out, since I represent a manufacturer . . . but the question on diagnostics is always an issue at our Hotline. Customers are introduced to the features . . then never use them. Any manufacturer will tell you that the code in the firmware that is designed to give diagnostics is HUGE.

I personally push it as a selling point, because the values can be calibrated to 99% accuracy. But, not everyone uses them to their full advantage.

Any comments guys? Are manufacturers getting the advanced features wrong in this case?

Regards,

Gimmick.

Guest Gimmick

Fair comment that highlights that fact that our methods of diagnostics are not getting as much publicity as they should. Our control panels are calibrated in the factory for 2% error (98% accuracy) on resistance and voltage readings. The system them allows an adjustment to be made, based on a measurement that is done with an installers calibrated multimeter. This can then improve the accuracy to 99%.

I did once get a comment from a Senior NACOSS Inspector that this level of accuracy (and the fact that you could technically place a calibration sticker on the PANEL rather than the meter), would satisfy their requirements for any measurements taken. Unfortunately as always I then spent 3 months (unsuccessfully) trying to get him to say that in writing.

thanks for the feedback though . . so soon after the poll.

Regards,

Gimmick.

I would agree with peter, it is a usefull tool but generally it is only useable as a guide.

The resisitance of a cct is usually fine, the voltages at the pir's etc cannot be measured from the panel clearly so its uses are limited. Very handy from a servicing point of view but they could never replace your test meter!

Guest dale

Also you have to bear in mind if the software in the panel messes up, it could be telling you there are faults all over the place that might have you running round for hours, when it could just be a faulty panel. Panels do break and fault.. can it self diagnose, and would you trust its self diagnosis??

Diagnostics are only as "intelligent" as the person who has to understand them!!

Panel diagnostics would be a handy feature, if only they were accurate( and as pete said how do you ensure this and what about recalibration, its not practical to do this on site.

How do manufacturers feel the remote servicing in en50131 can be achieved, when in reallity, the current technology will only allow us to look at the panel.

Colin.

on a cynical note... does this mean that we would have to calibrate the panel every year, and include it in our record of calibrated equipment? before we could use the values?

I personally think that correct readings are important, and if could be used as a remote diagnostic/service tool I would welcome them!

Which panels have/consider implementing these on? Are they/will they be EN50131 compliant, will they have remote access and servicing built in?

and the most important question of all, will they rival the Galaxy for features/usability/reliability? (and cost)

yours very expectantly...

James

TSS

Communication is "A question asked, and an Opinion given." I offer mine to help you with yours.

Statements I make are my personal views only at the time they are posted, if I offend you sorry, must be taken in context and do not neccesarily represent those of my employer.

The diagnostics on panel are useful and can save time even if only used as a reference. Checking values on a system thats been troublesome can point the way to a potential problem but it's the multi-meter at the end of the day that has the final say. The most useful diagnostic feature I've seen was on the TS2500 where the individual network bus lines are polled and data errors are displayed. Or something to that effect was going on lol. I killed a problem that had been bugging an alarm for years by using that and simply re-running the network cable to the first Node. Great for the old street cred back at the office.

Tony

ACE.gif

Archived