Security Installer Community

6 Terminal Pir

jonesy1982

Hello,

I'm trying to add a new PIR to an existing system, which only uses 3 core cable.

Being Red +, Black -, and yellow for Zone trigger.

The only PIRs I can assitain are the standard 6 terminal supply (+,-), Zone (N/C), and Tamper (24hr x2).

I assumed by linking out the Tamper terminals to create a closed loop circuit and by connecting to either the N or C terminal with the yellow zone wire( with the N/C being already linked out on the circuit).

Am I correct in assuming this will work correctly when armed.

Ryan :ninja:

what panel are you using?

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

No im afraid that wont work, depending on your panel you may be able to connect one side of the relay to 0v, but to be honest you shouldnt run a pir on 3 cables. You need 4.

If you panel uses positive zones then they may be at 5v and you would then need to source 5v from the 12v you have.

If its a negative zone panel then it may work but is not the correct way.

James

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

No im afraid that wont work, depending on your panel you may be able to connect one side of the relay to 0v, but to be honest you shouldnt run a pir on 3 cables. You need 4.

If you panel uses positive zones then they may be at 5v and you would then need to source 5v from the 12v you have.

If its a negative zone panel then it may work but is not the correct way.

James

agreed, but if it is a + return it will 'work' with 12v link, although it should be 5v.

Sounds like one of those cheapy Micromark/Security Master jobbies to me. If it is, your new PIR will likely not work in any configuration.

If it is an Abacus, you can re-wire with resistors (if you have them) or if you have another 3 cores, you can re-wire double pole (2 wires for alarm, 2 for tamper). Just need to swap a couple of wires in the panel/REM and turn the "split" option for the zone off in the zone programming.

Trade Member

Hello,

I'm trying to add a new PIR to an existing system, which only uses 3 core cable.

Being Red +, Black -, and yellow for Zone trigger.

The only PIRs I can assitain are the standard 6 terminal supply (+,-), Zone (N/C), and Tamper (24hr x2).

I assumed by linking out the Tamper terminals to create a closed loop circuit and by connecting to either the N or C terminal with the yellow zone wire( with the N/C being already linked out on the circuit).

Am I correct in assuming this will work correctly when armed.

Ryan :ninja:

Is it a commercial or a Pub?

If it's an old system it sounds like it is one that requires I.D Biscuits (Thats what i call them). One ring around the

building with white Joint boxes with pir's shooting off in all directions is the norm with the ones i have upgraded before.

You will have to find the make of the panel, if it's new it maybe a Menvier ID panel then you can definatley get the parts.

Archived