Security Installer Community

Pir False Alarm

twistbit

There are many reasons it could be activating, only one of them is that its faulty. But an basic test would be to cover it over and see if it still activates.

But if it does it still could be insects, drafts, loose board etc.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

There are many reasons it could be activating, only one of them is that its faulty. But an basic test would be to cover it over and see if it still activates.

Thanks for your help, I will try your suggestion.

I have an Optima G3 system fitted and get false alarms from the Hall PIR (Viper) The PIR walk tests ok and reset clears the alarm. Is there any way I can prove the PIR is faulty?

Swap it over with another PIR in your home. See what happens.

Alternatively, ask a local firm to have a look. Might not cost as much as you think esp as they will sort the problem without "buying parts just to see if thats it", if you get what I mean!

Covered PIR and no false alarms, does this check prove the niether the circuit or the PIR are faulty and the PIR must have been activated, floor is tiled and house draft proof to a high degree. No signs of large insects, moths etc.

Is it worth replacing PIR?

If you have covered over sensor and it stops, i would un cover and see if it starts again.

If you want to replace you must belive its faulty?

Its also highly probably that whatever was the local condition that caused the alarm has gone, as you said spider, insect etc. It could be faulty but as a rule they are pretty easy to spot.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

James advice is sound, his reluctance to condemn the detector out of hand is because he as all alrm pro's know modern detectors are very reliable. so other less obvious things like your standby battery could also be the cause, when was it last changed? if over 3 years then best to do so now.

your panel only indicates the 1st zone to activate, so if your power go's off the battery starts to run down slowly, but if faulty it will run down a lot quicker.

there is a point where any detector will go into alarm due to low voltage, so lets say the hall detector is @ 11.6v and is the most sensitive to low voltage, this will alarm and show on the panel but the other detectors may well also have alarmed due to even lower voltage before the power is restored.

then when the power is restored walla all seems well (to the uninitiated).

the above applies also to poorly made power connections in the detectors and/or at the main panel.

as for spiders from March to October when generally vacuuming give the pir casings a good clean, especially behind corner mounted units as thats where spiders like to hide, in your case masking off the unit has possibly evicted this spider so removing the current false alarm cause.

if the alarm is less than 5 years old there is less likelihood of insects (even if nested inside the unit) causing problems, as the optics on modern detectors are sealed against them, but it can't be discounted if cheap detectors were used or were badly installed.

if you competent and safe using any access equipment required to do so, then remove the lid's and give them a clean inside carefully with the vacuum cleaner would be no bad thing.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

While I can suggest a few more questions you need to ask yourself, I also would strongly recommend that you get a professional technician in.

How long ago was the system installed?

When last was the system serviced or upgraded?

When did you start getting false alarms? How long after installation/service/upgrade?

Were any additional components added to the system?

Have there been any changes to the environment? (Building alterations/additional residents/pets, etc)

Do these alarms occur at a regular time (more or less) i.e 3am?

Do you have pets, have you always had pets, have these grown considerably from when there were no false alarms till alarms.?

Have you had any electrical/cable or satellite TV/aircon/heating/ventilation work done recently? (especially since the false alarms started?)

Have you installed/plugged-in a new major electrical appliance since that may have caused the false alarms?

Has a technician changed the zones that the detector is on with a similar non-false alarming zone to determine if it is a wiring or panel problem?

There are numerous reasons for continued false alarms, your panel apparently has an 8 event log. I suggest you get your alarm company to investigate this.

I am not familiar with the panel or detector that you have mentioned as I am not based in the UK, and we use different equipment in my country... but in terms of troubleshooting these are the areas I would start to investigate.

Again, I would suggest getting a professional in, this could save you a lot of time, effort and keep you friendly with the neighbours....

Regards

NitroN

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for assistance and advice, I have checked PIR as suggested and since then no further false alarms, I can only think that it must have been an insect of some kind or perhaps a reflection of some sought. Anyone know how large an insect can set off alarm or if reflections can set off alarm?

While I can suggest a few more questions you need to ask yourself, I also would strongly recommend that you get a professional technician in.

How long ago was the system installed?

When last was the system serviced or upgraded?

When did you start getting false alarms? How long after installation/service/upgrade?

Were any additional components added to the system?

Have there been any changes to the environment? (Building alterations/additional residents/pets, etc)

Do these alarms occur at a regular time (more or less) i.e 3am?

Do you have pets, have you always had pets, have these grown considerably from when there were no false alarms till alarms.?

Have you had any electrical/cable or satellite TV/aircon/heating/ventilation work done recently? (especially since the false alarms started?)

Have you installed/plugged-in a new major electrical appliance since that may have caused the false alarms?

Has a technician changed the zones that the detector is on with a similar non-false alarming zone to determine if it is a wiring or panel problem?

There are numerous reasons for continued false alarms, your panel apparently has an 8 event log. I suggest you get your alarm company to investigate this.

I am not familiar with the panel or detector that you have mentioned as I am not based in the UK, and we use different equipment in my country... but in terms of troubleshooting these are the areas I would start to investigate.

Again, I would suggest getting a professional in, this could save you a lot of time, effort and keep you friendly with the neighbours....

Regards

NitroN

Archived