Security Installer Community

Twisted Pair Or Rg59

w1zard

If its a really short run, less than about 10 yards, I'd be happy to use intruder cable.

This will horrify a lot of people, but I bet no one could actually see any difference in quality.

Its a lot easier to hide it, PIR cameras usually have screw conections anyway, and if your replacing an existing PIR and theres 8 core already in place it sho do save a lot of time. Just join co-ax to it in the alarm panel, and terminate with a BNC.

Home home on the range..etc.

You are better to use cat5 rather than alarm cable even without a balun.

The twists in the cable pairs will still help shield interference from affecting the video signal, it

System Q Ltd.

using unshielded is really a case of 'getting away with i't, you might not show any issues at installation time but sources of interference might blot out would would normally be a good image a a vital time, things like mobile phones, model radio control blah blah.

imo if you value your rep as we all should do i hope (being professionals), then use screened cable or baluns, otherwise don't bother with junction boxes and terminal block just buy more roles of cheap nasty insulating tape :bruce_h4h:

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

you only need a six core anyway, just pair the cores up, dont even bother with coax at the recorder end - SYSTEM Q sell some screw terminal BNC connectors, theres an art to getting the 12v pair back out of the rubber boot but it looks quite trick.

On a domestic i`ve never used anything else

Not another bloke who dont use tampers with domestics are you,

not a dig at you.......I dont see the point in them myself, not on a domestic IAS anyway, global tampers are a pain. Or is it all resistors these days.

You are better to use cat5 rather than alarm cable even without a balun.

The twists in the cable pairs will still help shield interference from affecting the video signal, it

Not another bloke who dont use tampers with domestics are you,

not a dig at you.......I dont see the point in them myself, not on a domestic IAS anyway, global tampers are a pain. Or is it all resistors these days.

Couldnt agree more, but if its an existing PIR, the 6 or 8 cores already there. and most intruder engineers would have a heart attack if you suggested using cat5 for a detector. TBH as its so cheap nowadays, I'm surprised people dont, spose

there might be an issue with it being brittle, and it dont like screw connectors.

TBH I reckon screening cables is more a tradition than anything, in my experience, screening, especially foil screen is not very effective in preventing RF interference, the screen itself can act as an aerial, balanced twisted pair is far more

effective, intruder cable is the next best thing. it is twisted, just more twisted octo than twisted pair if you get my drift.

Glad to see you didnt fall and break your neck putting your dome up by the way !

arr but he did this is just his special computer programnme doing the typing as he talks rubbish in to the pc and it knows whats hes saying :lol: :lol:

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

so you were just after a cheap laugh ....... be afraid, be very afraid LOL

I wont sleep tonight now. B)

Thanks for the tip re. screw on BNCs tho. was at a site couple of months ago where Baluns had been fitted at the Mux end but not at the camera end, perfect pictures, probably someone trying to make a neat job of terminating cat5. would never have niticed if I hadnt had to replace one of the cameras.

Archived