Security Installer Community

Multiple Pirs On One Zone

bryhhh

About two years ago I installed an alarm system at home, and it has been fantastic, no false alarms at all. We have just had some building work done, and I'm not able to run a cable from the new room to the control box. I can however run a cable from the new room to another PIR.

This isn't ideal, but can I wire up the new PIR and connect it to the original one, effectively putting two PIRs in one zone?

I know that I would need to wire the power in parallel and the Tamper in series, but how do I wire the alarm pair? I thought it was best to check rather than get it wrong and blow a fuse or damage the system.

If it matters, this is on an ADE Accenta mini G3.

Thanks,

Bry.

About two years ago I installed an alarm system at home, and it has been fantastic, no false alarms at all. We have just had some building work done, and I'm not able to run a cable from the new room to the control box. I can however run a cable from the new room to another PIR.

This isn't ideal, but can I wire up the new PIR and connect it to the original one, effectively putting two PIRs in one zone?

I know that I would need to wire the power in parallel and the Tamper in series, but how do I wire the alarm pair? I thought it was best to check rather than get it wrong and blow a fuse or damage the system.

If it matters, this is on an ADE Accenta mini G3.

Thanks,

Bry.

You can wire an additional detector in series with your exisiting one, the alarm pair should be wired in series in the same way as you would wire the tamper.

It's not recommended though and it is a deviation from the standards because if an intermittent fault appears on a PIR (and they almost always are intermittent faults) you will have no way of telling which detector has caused the problem.

My advice would be to replace the panel with a more modern panel that uses EOL wiring, you can then use your existing 6 core cable to connect two zones.

You can wire an additional detector in series with your exisiting one, the alarm pair should be wired in series in the same way as you would wire the tamper.

It's not recommended though and it is a deviation from the standards because if an intermittent fault appears on a PIR (and they almost always are intermittent faults) you will have no way of telling which detector has caused the problem.

My advice would be to replace the panel with a more modern panel that uses EOL wiring, you can then use your existing 6 core cable to connect two zones.

I'll could give that a go, however your comment about EOL wiring (which I just googled for, as I had no idea what it meant) has made me realise I'm missing something totally obvious here....

The cable from the panel to the existing PIR has eight cores (only six in use), so I could actually wire the alarm signals on the new PIR into a new zone using the spare two cores in the existing cables.

alarm.JPG

Many thanks for your help!

Bry

Yep. That'll do it.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Without going into too much detail EOL wiring works by using End Of Line resistors wired across the alarm output and in series with the tamper output. The panel recognises the different value dependent on whether the PIR is healthy, in alarm or in tamper. This means that you only need a 4 core to a PIR instead of 6.

As you already have an 8 core to the existing PIR you wont need to replace your panel, just wire it as your diagram and Bob's your uncle.

Well, I originally wanted to put the PIR on a separate zone, but my wife said I wasn't to run a cable from the new PIR back to the panel. (She doesn't like visible wiring or conduit, and didn't want me ruining the existing decor).

As I could get to another PIR easily, I thought I would have to have two PIRs on one zone. Thanks to the help I've got here, I now have exactly what I wanted without any hassle. :)

Many thanks.

Bry.

i may be reading this wronge, but if you have a 8 core at the pir, then you will have a spare pair, which will allow you to put the zone on its own..

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

i may be reading this wronge, but if you have a 8 core at the pir, then you will have a spare pair, which will allow you to put the zone on its own..

Yep, that's exactly what I've done, it just took me a while to realise I could do it.

:rolleyes: you have potential,

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

Archived