Security Installer Community

Advice Sought On How Best To Terminate Wiring

gerdalt

Back at the panel I have the wiring from five PIR units.

I connect the zone and tamper wires to their respective terminals.

Now I am left with the 'power' wires to each of the PIRs.

There is only one + and one - supply point on the panel.

So what is the best way to connect them up?

I have seen examples of where the five + wires are twisted together and just about fitted into the terminal.

Would work for 3 or 4 wires, maybe, but gets difficult if there are more. Not very professional.

I have also seen standard terminal strips used - that requires a common jumper between each termination point on the block.

Seems error prone.

Is there a special power termination strip?

Or is there some magic method?

Ger

Guest anguscanplay

I have seen examples of where the five + wires are twisted together and just about fitted into the terminal.

Would work for 3 or 4 wires, maybe, but gets difficult if there are more. Not very professional.

I have also seen standard terminal strips used - that requires a common jumper between each termination point on the block.

Seems error prone.

Ger

either or really - I`ll usually get upto 7 cores into the panel (been known to get 16 in the old days LOL) or for more than that just split the cores between a couple of terminal strips

Angus

Seems error prone.

Ger

Most people that I have worked with do it one of two ways.

1 Don't twist the wires together but tightly twist each individual wire, 5 will go into a normal terminal easily.

There is a technique for tightly twisting the wire but I can't think of a way to explain it in writing!

2 Twist all the positives together with a short length of the same colour and put into a connector block, do the same with the negatives. The short length goes into the panel terminal.

Another method is similar to above but use solder and heat shrink sleeving instead of a connector block.

Guest anguscanplay
There is a technique for tightly twisting the wire but I can't think of a way to explain it in writing!

always nice to read from an other old timer - LOL

bare a good 1/2 inch of the conductor on each core then line all the cut sleeves up in one hand, twist the bare conductors really tight with the thumb and index finger of the other hand - cut the twist to size and fit it into the terminal

its the lining up of the remaining pvc first that makes or breaks it

Angus

always nice to read from an other old timer - LOL

bare a good 1/2 inch of the conductor on each core then line all the cut sleeves up in one hand, twist the bare conductors really tight with the thumb and index finger of the other hand - cut the twist to size and fit it into the terminal

its the lining up of the remaining pvc first that makes or breaks it

Angus

Spot on Angus!!

You use the insulation to grip the wire so you get a really tight twist.

Happy days.

Guest anguscanplay
Thanks Folks.

Question answered.

I like the solder and heatshrink best :)

Ger

it`s a good technique - till you get a fault on a cable and have to power it down

Thanks Folks.

Question answered.

Ger

It is a solid and reliable method but (there's always one) there may come a time when you need to seperate the cables to fault find, then you have to do it all again.

All the methods described are commonly used and should be fine.

It is a solid and reliable method but (there's always one) there may come a time when you need to seperate the cables to fault find, then you have to do it all again.

All the methods described are commonly used and should be fine.

i prefer the method of twisting the pos and neg tightly and putting them direct into the panel, most proffessinal in mho

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

Thanks Folks.

Question answered.

Ger

works fine - until you ned to split them up for testing.

imo pay a few pence more and get the hard terminal block with the protective lever, put all cables into the same side of the block to reduce any chance of an intermittent.

a little extra care here (as in anything intruder) saves a lot of extra visits.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived