Security Installer Community

Aalrm Zones and devices

Guest bob

Hello,

I am in the process of getting some quotes for an intruder alarm system from various local suppliers and just wanted to a little advise.

When the installer talks about number of zones (for example 8), is this the number of devices that can be added to the system ?.

The reason I ask is I am having a garage/workshop built in the future and wanted to make sure I had spare capacity.

So if I have 8 devices in my home (eg PIR's door contactys e.t.c) then I would need to expand the system in the future for the garage.

I want to make sure I ask for and get a system which meets with this requirement - at least I can then compare all qotes e.t.c and know a little of what they are supplying.

Thanks for any assistance.

Bob.

Generally installers use one device to one zone. Depending on the proposed panel it could be expanded futher simply by adding an expander or changing the programming, without knowing the proposed panel its hard to say.

Colin.

Guest Guest

Thanks for that Colin

At least I now know I need at least 8 zones - so can compare quotes.

Bob

PS Excellent site by the way

Most typical domestic panels go upto eight zones, but the more high end panels will be able to be expanded depending on the panel itself.

Choose a panel wisely and make sure it suits you well for future use.

A couple of quid spent now is a couple of quid saved in the future and it avoids all the hassle in the future.

Good Luck

Dave

You would be advised to find out whether the garage can be set/unset independently and if you can have another keypad in there.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Guest Guest

Based on the info from this website I asked my potential installer regarding the options.

As suggested by Dave he had orignally offered an Sterling 8-zone alarm panel - but on my request for future expansion he is suggesting a higher end product like the Matrix or Premier

This will allow me to set different zones e.t.c and have flexibility for the future. Also I like the look of the LCD control panel he showed me for the Matrix panel, also it looks like it gives me the option to use a voice dialer as sometimes I am away from home on business trips e.t.c and can be informed of a problem.

Thanks for the advice - certainly opened my eyes as to the many choices and flexibility on offer.

Thanks again

Bob

Glad to know we could be of help.

Any probs with the rest of your install then just come back and ask.

Everyone's here to give friendly, helpful advice.

Your installer seems to know the type of panel you need so I would say you are in safe hands !!

Good Luck,

Dave

Archived